none
Where would I find documentation describing windows registry settings

Question

• Hi

I have seen several helpful posts describing various registry keys that can be used to modify windows behavior, e.g. how-to-get-the-old-alt-tab-dialog-in-windows-10

I would also like to adjust how many items are displayed in the alt-tab list.  Is there is a setting for that but more generally, where would I find documentation describing windows registry settings so that I could see what is actually possible - presumably people who have posted these solutions have access to some sort of list or does that require windows insider knowledge?

Thanks
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 11:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Not all configurations on Windows can be configured from registry.

The registry is a system-defined database in which applications and system components store and retrieve configuration data. The data stored in the registry varies according to the version of Microsoft Windows. Applications use the registry API to retrieve, modify, or delete registry data.

For its structure, see this article:

Structure of the Registry

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724946(v=vs.85).aspx

In addition, here I recommend you a small tool named Regshot that used to capture the registry changes when you configure settings from the UI.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 13, 2017 2:19 AM
  • Not to hijack the thread, but I'm also interested in finding this list.

For example there is an option called "LastActiveClick" that can be added to the Explorer setup. Where would we find a list of these items we can add for a given version of Windows?

It's like Donald's unknown unknowns.

Monday, March 13, 2017 8:37 AM
  • Thanks Karen.  Unfortunately the page that you referenced doesn't help (I have left a comment on the page requesting further information).  That page describes the windows registry in general.  I wish to find documentation describing WINDOWS registry settings specifically.  Also, the links on those pages direct you to content for Windows 2003 which is designated as out of date - it will not describe "features" in the current version of windows. 

It is fantastic that settings such as AltTabSettings can be tweaked but it defeats the purpose if there is no easy way to discover this information.

Cheers
    Brad

B5A7

Thursday, March 30, 2017 12:28 AM
  • Hi Brad,

Just as my previous reply, not all configurations on Windows can be configured from registry. There is no completely list to explain every registry entry.

For your specific AltTab setting, you need to create the key manually:

Open Registry Editor and create the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AltTab

For more information, read this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/9ebf508d-835f-4603-9dea-5b6bfdeda93e/what-registry-key-controls-the-alttab-aero-peek-flip2d-delay?forum=w7itproui

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 9:03 AM
  • I think the point or question from the OP is being either missed completely or avoided.  I realize that not every setting is in the registry, but so many are.

Understanding that a particular setting in a particular key does a particular thing is great, but it's utterly insufficient.  What does it do?  What are the other values?  What subsystems are affected?  Which of the myriad versions of windows does it affect?

And what OTHER keys are supported but perhaps not part of an initial OS load?

I suspect that such a thing exists, but for whatever reason it is not publicly available, and IMO should be freely accessible.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 9:40 PM