Why do I suddenly have two 'Desktop' folders? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using a clean Windows Vista Ultimate on a brand new system. I've just begun installing my work environment (Office, etc.). 

Now today I open up my system and I suddenly appear to have two Desktop folders, both of which show up when accessed via Windows Explorer and the Desktop>gareth> virtual path. However, one shows a path of C:\Users\gareth while the other shows a path of C:\Users\gareth\Documents. 

When I delete one or other of the folders, it reappears after a reboot, a log-out, or a switch-user operation. There is nothing in either folder (except the desktop.ini file).

I'm wondering if there's some kind of conflict with the public desktop and the user desktop data? I've been unable to find anything on Technet or online about this issue.

Any suggestions? - thanks in advance.
    Monday, November 3, 2008 5:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The folder in C:\Users\gareth\Documents must be created by one of the installed programs. The program is not designed for Windows Vista, but for Windows XP. When it needs to read or write to your Desktop, it would not write to C:\users\[username]\Desktop. As a work around, it create a Desktop folder in C:\Users\[username]\Documents as a junction.

If you would like to remove the folder, you need to find the related program. You may remove the non-Microsoft programs one-by-one. After each uninstalling, remove the Desktop folder in C:\Users\gareth\Documents and restart the computer. Then check the result.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The folder in C:\Users\gareth\Documents must be created by one of the installed programs. The program is not designed for Windows Vista, but for Windows XP. When it needs to read or write to your Desktop, it would not write to C:\users\[username]\Desktop. As a work around, it create a Desktop folder in C:\Users\[username]\Documents as a junction.

If you would like to remove the folder, you need to find the related program. You may remove the non-Microsoft programs one-by-one. After each uninstalling, remove the Desktop folder in C:\Users\gareth\Documents and restart the computer. Then check the result.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:01 AM
  • Thanks - it seems the folder appeared after I installed 'SyncToy

2.0'. I uninstalled it, cleaned up the remains, and all seems to be fine now.
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:44 PM
  • How do I find the related program(s)
    Friday, April 8, 2011 6:45 PM