locked
Cross-Forest Migration ActiveSync RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello.  I am in the middle of piloting an Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2010 cross-forest migration.  There is a two-way trust setup.  Federation Trusts and Organization trusts are setup and tested.  The Autodiscover is also functioning on both sides.  However, after migrating a user to the destination, the test ActiveSync users phone no longer is able to connect.  As soon as the account is deleted from the phone and recreated, all works without an issue.  On the source side, there are two events for ActiveSync ID 1008 that are logged and they indicate an issue with the device partnership.  However this is for the source side.  

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 10:50 PM

Answers

  • Hi Nick


    Try running EXRCA and see the results
    First run test-activesyncconnectivity and see the results
    See the active sync vdirs settings
    Get-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory -Server <servername> | fl name,*auth*,*url
    Also check if they have integrated authentication only selected.


    Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question.That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.
    Regards,
    Sathish

    Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:36 AM
  • All,

    Thank you for your help.  I have determined that pointing the firewall to the new server on the new forest resolves the issue.  We are going to perform a cut instead of a migration.  Thanks again.


    • Marked as answer by NickEw Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:11 PM
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:10 PM

All replies

  • Hi Nick


    Try running EXRCA and see the results
    First run test-activesyncconnectivity and see the results
    See the active sync vdirs settings
    Get-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory -Server <servername> | fl name,*auth*,*url
    Also check if they have integrated authentication only selected.


    Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question.That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.
    Regards,
    Sathish

    Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:36 AM
  • Sathish,

    Thank you for your reply.  I will be back onsite tomorrow and will test out what you have recommended.  I will report back my findings as soon as I'm able to test.

    Thanks,
    Nick

    Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:56 AM
  • Sathish,

    Should these commands be ran on the source side after the mailbox has been moved to the destination forest for testing?

    Thanks,
    Nick

    Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:52 PM
  • Hi Nick,

    Since the mailbox has been moved to new Exchange 2010, please check the ActiveSync settings of new Exchange. Also check whether other migrated mailboxes encounter the same issue or not.

    Thanks,


    Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:08 AM
  • All,

    Thank you for your help.  I have determined that pointing the firewall to the new server on the new forest resolves the issue.  We are going to perform a cut instead of a migration.  Thanks again.


    • Marked as answer by NickEw Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:11 PM
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:10 PM
  • Just to add for future reference. Not all EAS capable devices support cross forest mailbox moves and the EAS device then updating it settings to reflect the new mailbox location and endpoints.

    Food for thought.


    Oliver Moazzezi | Exchange MVP, MCSA:M, MCITP:Exchange 2010,MCITP:Exchange 2013, BA (Hons) Anim | http://www.exchange2010.com | http://www.cobweb.com | http://twitter.com/OliverMoazzezi

    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:26 PM