none
DHCP userclass set client-side does not work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I wonder what I am doing wrong when it comes to the usage of DHCP classid. I have defined a certain classid on my windows DHCP Server, actually I have several, but only for Ubuntu_DHCP there are any scope optoins (121 classless static routes) defined. All the rest of the scope options goes for Default User Class, resp. None.

Now I have issud "ipconfig /showclassid "Wi-Fi" on a DHCP Client PC and get the whole list of user classes defined on the server. I was expecting to get the userclass defined for this client, which at that stage was none.
    Then I issued "ipconfig /setclassid "Wi-Fi" Ubuntu_DHCP" -command ran successfully, but after that the same whole list of userclasses was shown. So, actually my result was the same before and after, and my Ubuntu_DHCP scope options did not work either on that pc. I also tried "ipconfig /setclassid "Wi-Fi"" and "ipconfig /setclassid "Wi-Fi" *" hoping these should remove set userclasses. But no success either, btw. I did not find any clear statement how to remove client-side a set userclass. Is it correct that ipconfig /setclassid "Wi-Fi" <without any class> or followed by anasterisk * would remove classes if any where set?

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /setclassid "Wi-Fi" Ubuntu_DHCP

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully set the DHCPv4 class id for adapter Wi-Fi.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /showclassid "Wi-Fi"

Windows IP Configuration

DHCPv4 Classes for Adapter "Wi-Fi":

DHCPv4 ClassID Name . . . . . . . . : Default Routing and Remote Access Class
       DHCPv4 ClassID Description  . . . . : User class for remote access clients

DHCPv4 ClassID Name . . . . . . . . : Default Network Access Protection Class
       DHCPv4 ClassID Description  . . . . : Default special user class for Restricted Access clients

DHCPv4 ClassID Name . . . . . . . . : Default BOOTP Class
       DHCPv4 ClassID Description  . . . . : User class for BOOTP Clients

DHCPv4 ClassID Name . . . . . . . . : ANDROID
       DHCPv4 ClassID Description  . . . . : Android Geräte

DHCPv4 ClassID Name . . . . . . . . : ANDROID_BUG
       DHCPv4 ClassID Description  . . . . : Android Geräte die falscher Weise die Länge doppelt voran stellen

DHCPv4 ClassID Name . . . . . . . . : Ubuntu_DHCP
       DHCPv4 ClassID Description  . . . . : Special DHCP for Ubuntu

BTW: This works with Ubuntu, and I can remember it worked with this Windows Machine some time ago too. DHCP Server is 2008 r2.

kind regards,

Dieter Tontsch

Friday, July 6, 2018 8:08 AM

Answers

• ipconfig /setclassid "Adapter Name" <classidname> works, just that sometimes, by unknown reason this setting disappears. One can see if and which classid is set in Windows Registry under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{iface-id} --> DhcpClassId.

You can easily find classid with command getmac.

In addition, if classid is set, DHCP settings work as expected, but I do not know under which circumstances classid sometimes is "reset".

What does not work, is ipconfig /showclassid "Adapter Name" - this does not show the set classid, it just does "Displays all the dhcp class IDs allowed for adapter." as it describe in help. So, you cannot figure out the classid which is set with this command, this infoone can get from registry though.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

1. For Setclassid and Setclassid6, if no ClassId is specified, then the ClassId is removed.

2.Use the ipconfig /all command to view the DHCPv4 Class ID. This may be different from what the showclassid command shows.

Refer to the following links:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/ipconfig  

Hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, July 9, 2018 10:14 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 13, 2018 3:19 AM
  • ipconfig /setclassid "Adapter Name" <classidname> works, just that sometimes, by unknown reason this setting disappears. One can see if and which classid is set in Windows Registry under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{iface-id} --> DhcpClassId.

You can easily find classid with command getmac.

In addition, if classid is set, DHCP settings work as expected, but I do not know under which circumstances classid sometimes is "reset".

What does not work, is ipconfig /showclassid "Adapter Name" - this does not show the set classid, it just does "Displays all the dhcp class IDs allowed for adapter." as it describe in help. So, you cannot figure out the classid which is set with this command, this infoone can get from registry though.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 7:02 AM