none
Project server 2016 user CAL licensing information RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have a project server 2016 environment setup and we are using Active directory resource pool synchronization feature to manage resources. Now based on the information provided here no user accounts should be created automatically for the resources

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/project/manage-active-directory-resource-pool-synchronization-in-project-server-2013

It is important to note the following changes in Active Directory Resource Pool synchronization in Project Server 2013:

• No Project Server user accounts will be automatically created for resources that are added to the Enterprise Resource Pool through Active Directory synchronization.

In our environment we wanted only few resources(30) out of 200 to be able to access PWA and we purchased 30 user CAL licenses accordingly, but in the current environment we noticed that an active project server user account got created for all the resources that are synched from AD. my question is

1. do we need to purchase additional 170 licenses as there accounts are active?

2. Is there an option to de-activate project server user account alone for 170 resources? using the status change from "Active" to "Inactive" is de-activating the project server account but the enterprise resource is also becoming inactive.

Note: we haven't mapped project server groups to any security groups in AD.

Thanks,

Ashok

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 2:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Ashok,

You do not need to buy the additional licences for the 170 users.  You can have accounts, but if the user does not access the system (even if they have an account) then you do not need a CAL.

I wouldn't set the resources to Inactive, it will cause issues when you assign those resources to tasks.

*** Please note, this is a licencing question and the answer is given in good faith, but no warranties etc are implied.  If in further doubt, please contact your LAR. ***

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 8:42 AM
  • One other point to bring out.  Make sure that resources are not found in any of the resource groups, particular the "Team Member" group.   If using SharePoint mode you will not see this in PWA settings, however, if using Project Mode you will. 

The permission of "Log On" or "Log on to Project Server from Project Professional" is the trigger for requiring licenses and it is usually check in the "Team Member" role.

Michael Wharton, Project MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com <br/> Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 1:39 PM
  • Thanks Ben, 

Based on the note you highlighted in the end i understand that its better to confirm with LAR, but my first question regarding why the accounts are getting created when they are not supposed to be is one thing i am trying to understand. Curious to know if this is expected behavior in PS 2016 and also if there is any flag to switch this behavior.

Thanks,

Ashok

Friday, March 1, 2019 10:28 AM
  • Hi Michael,

The resources are not bound to any group by default in my environment and its in Project permission mode.

Thanks,

Ashok

Friday, March 1, 2019 10:31 AM
  • Hi Ashok,

I can only test this on Project Online (PJO) , but in the test I have just concluded a user account DOES get created when I perform AD Resource Pool Sync, therefore I can only assume that either the statement "No Project Server user accounts will be automatically created for resources that are added to the Enterprise Resource Pool through Active Directory synchronization." was either never correct, or correct for 2013 but is no longer valid for PJO or 2016. I also saw exactly the same experience onsite yesterday, ie accounts being created when doing AD sync.   Alas in PJO there is no "active user count" :( 

Friday, March 1, 2019 10:47 AM
  • Hi Ashok,

I can only test this on Project Online (PJO) , but in the test I have just concluded a user account DOES get created when I perform AD Resource Pool Sync, therefore I can only assume that either the statement "No Project Server user accounts will be automatically created for resources that are added to the Enterprise Resource Pool through Active Directory synchronization." was either never correct, or correct for 2013 but is no longer valid for PJO or 2016. I also saw exactly the same experience onsite yesterday, ie accounts being created when doing AD sync.   Alas in PJO there is no "active user count" :( 

Thanks Ben for letting me know that i am not the only one having this issue, I will wait if someone from MS support can help me find a way to de-activate user account alone and leaving the resources active.
    Monday, March 4, 2019 2:46 AM