July updates WSUS problems for Win10 and Win Server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having problems with WSUS downloads at almost every client site this month that has Windows 10 1809 and Windows Server 2016 or 2018.  The updates are downloaded but all show as "Not Applicable" or "No Status." Updates for Windows 7 and Windows 2008/2012 are OK.

Has something changed that would cause this issue?  I haven't changed any group policy settings or anything else regarding WSUS at these sites. All of these WSUS installations have been working fine for months and in some cases years.

TIA,

Deb

Deb

Friday, July 12, 2019 2:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Friday, July 12, 2019 5:23 PM
  • I already checked that out and that is not the issue.  Workstation registries at these sites are using the correct value (0X10) for that reg entry.

Thanks,

Deb

Deb

Friday, July 12, 2019 5:27 PM
  • Hi Deb,

Did you downloaded the software updates related to the version of your Windows 10/Server 2016 (LSTB, CBB...)? Can you check the list of selected products in the Software Update Point settings?

Force a full synchronization of software updates and check wsyncmgr.log & WCM.log files if there are any errors.

Regards,

SAAD Youssef

_______

Please remember to mark the replies as answer if they help, thank you!

Friday, July 12, 2019 6:19 PM
  • As I said, the updates are downloaded to the WSUS database.  If I configure the WSUS console to show Not Applicable and No Status updates, I see the updates there and they even show the number of workstations for which the updates are either Not Applicable or No Status. I can even approve them (I tried) and they download fine.  I'm assuming that the workstation or server will never download them because it doesn't see them as needed.

Thanks,

Deb

Deb

Friday, July 12, 2019 6:47 PM
  • The language of the software updates is it Ok? 

I'm trying to help you find the cause.

Friday, July 12, 2019 6:51 PM
  • I'm not sure I understand your question about language. The titles and KB numbers are correct as far as I can tell, and they are in English, if that's what you mean.  

Deb

Deb

Friday, July 12, 2019 6:55 PM
  • Hi Deb,

I recommend following the steps below to check:

1. Please check if the Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 you mentioned are reporting properly with the WSUS server. You can check this by checking the last report time of the computer in the WSUS console.

2. Microsoft strongly recommends you install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system before installing the latest cumulative update (LCU). You can find a list of servicing stack updates at Latest servicing stack updates.

3. Since you didn't mention it, which version of WSUS are you currently using?

Reply back with the results would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 15, 2019 2:37 AM
  • 1. All (or at least the vast majority) of the workstations and servers are reporting correctly in WSUS (show current dates for Last Status Report and Last Contact).

2.  All (or at least the vast majority) of the workstations and servers are up-to-date through the June 2019 updates, including servicing stack updates. The July servicing stack updates are in the same condition (No Status, or Not Applicable) as all of the other July updates. Are you suggesting that I download and install the July servicing stack updates for all of the workstations manually?

3.  Some of the WSUS servers are Windows 2012R2, some are Windows 2016 and some are Windows 2019. One of them is even Windows 2008R2, I think. So, they are running WSUS 3.0, 4.0, 6.0 and 10.0.

Deb

Deb

Monday, July 15, 2019 6:40 PM
  • Hi Deb,

Usually such problems are caused by some computers in the environment that may not be reported to WSUS completely. Is the "Installed/Not Applicable Percentage" of these computers normal? You can also check them in "Computer".

Then run the command on a computer with a lower percentage (in the elevated CMD):
    > wuauclt /detectnow /reportnow (before Windows 10 series)
    > UsoClient.exe startscan (For Windows 10 Series)
    After waiting for a while, check the percentage of reports reported by these computers and check if the update marked "No Status" is starting to be status.

It is also helpful to periodically clean up computers on the WSUS server that do not report properly. Please run the "Computers not contacting the server" cleanup job in the WSUS Server Cleanup Wizard. 

Reply back with the results would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 3:10 AM
  • No that is not the problem. Here's a screen capture showing a partial list at one of the client sites.  The others are pretty much the same, and if any of the workstations have issues, they are few and far between:

Deb

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:02 PM
  • Oh, by the way, I should probably mention that the Needed Count shown is for Office updates.  The Office updates show up normally as Needed even though the OS updates are not listed as Needed.

Deb

Deb

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:34 PM
  • Just to step in, I have the same problem also with win10 1709 and later, and that with several sites. 

clients think they are ok, they report to wsus, patches approved manually, but client still think they are ok..

quite annoying !

ticked in wsus several windows 10 options to synchronize..

what to do ??

Regards,

Pieter

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 9:17 AM
  • Hello,

I had similar issue. I found a solution in Scenario 2 of https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2017/01/09/why-wsus-and-sccm-managed-clients-are-reaching-out-to-microsoft-online/

I changed my WSUS GPO to Not Configured for item "Do not include drivers with Windows Updates". It works for many years but last few weeks not.

I run gpupdate and restart Windows update service  on destination clients after the GPO changed and everything is fine. All updates are successfully installed now.

• Marked as answer by SYNOFF Thursday, July 25, 2019 4:40 PM
    Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:34 PM
  • Although the resolution for my problem wasn't the same as yours, the article link you posted was what helped me fix this.  My issue had to do with the Branch Readiness level.  I had enabled some group policies under the Windows Update/Windows Update for Business options, and these had generated the registry entries mentioned under the "Scenario 2" section of that article.  When I removed those group policies, the workstation updates started showing up as Needed in WSUS almost immediately.

Thanks for joining in on this post.  I was beginning to lose hope of figuring this one out!

Deb

Deb

• Edited by SYNOFF Thursday, July 25, 2019 4:49 PM
    Thursday, July 25, 2019 4:44 PM