How to Create Virtual Desktop Template RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using this as a guide to setup a test VDI environment with Windows 2012.  This is all new to me.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831585.aspx

How do I create a virtual desktop template?  I didn't see any reference to creating a template in Hyper-V Manager so I simply copied the .VHDX file (of my sysprepped Win8 VM).  During the process of seting up that QuickStart role, I got the error "unable to create the reference virtual desktop. The virtual desktop is not sysprep generalized".  I've since seen references to SCVMM in regard to creating virtual desktop templates.  Do I need to install SCVMM or is there another way to create this template?  I'm familiar with earlier versions of SCCM, but no experience with SCVMM.  Not sure if it's a separate component or just a subset of SCCM.  Any help getting my focused in the right direction appreciated.  Thanks.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please see the following link that shows how to configure  a VDI pool: http://blog.itvce.com/?p=1569

You don't need to use SCVMM for creating a Template, you would normally use Hyper-V Manager. SCVMM is not required but is nice to have. 

The Link included shows the full process of creating a VDI pool.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

• Proposed as answer by Ryan Mangan Tuesday, April 16, 2013 10:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Clarence Zhang Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:55 AM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 10:15 PM

All replies

• You Can Install for example new windows 8 then run sysprep on it and then go to create virtual desktop.

if you want manage your template before deploy go to windows 8 and manage it and then create template. Brcause wehn you want to create virtual desktop it need a temploate and you can select windows 8 for you template .

But don't forget Sysprerp .

Dear Problems ,You May Big But My God Is Bigger.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:25 PM
  • I simply don't understand what you've said here.  Anyone else help me understand this?

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:36 PM
  • I simply don't understand what you've said here.  Anyone else help me understand this?

You give error because you doesnt use sysprerp. 

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:39 PM
  • I did run sysprep on the VM before I shut it down and then copied off the VHDX file.
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:40 PM
  • I did run sysprep on the VM before I shut it down and then copied off the VHDX file.
    You install Quick Start for dployment ?

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:46 PM
  • Yes.
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:48 PM
  • Yes.

Because you use quick start some configuration doesn't appear .

If you want configure virtual desktop you should use Standard deployment .

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:50 PM
  • Hi,

Please see the following link that shows how to configure  a VDI pool: http://blog.itvce.com/?p=1569

You don't need to use SCVMM for creating a Template, you would normally use Hyper-V Manager. SCVMM is not required but is nice to have. 

The Link included shows the full process of creating a VDI pool.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

• Proposed as answer by Ryan Mangan Tuesday, April 16, 2013 10:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Clarence Zhang Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:55 AM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 10:15 PM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Clarence Zhang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:55 AM
  • I still don't see a procedure for "Specify the virtual desktop template" in "Create Collection" when no templates appear.  (This has been referenced elsewhere in threads on the 'net, but I haven't seen a solution.

What  I get is a blank list...

Friday, June 12, 2015 11:34 PM
  • This is still a problem.

If I do a quick deployment, it works and creates machines just fine.

If I do a standard deployment, the list is blank.

HELP

Sunday, May 29, 2016 7:27 PM