none
IE11 User can't send webpages RRS feed

• Question

• I work in IT and I have a user with a problem where they cannot send webpages. Be send I mean they go into IE > File > send > page by e-mail. When they do this for the first time after they open IE and they go to the webpage they need to send, they can send that one just fine. It will open up outlook give a description of the page in the subject line and in the main part it will show the page just fine. Now if they go to the next page they need to send they will do file > send..... and then outlook will pop up, the description will show correctly, but the page that shows up in the main part is the one they first sent. It does not match the second page they are trying to send. 

Explained in a different way, they have page 1 and page 2 they need to send, the 2 pages are different parts of the same website. The user will send page 1 and it describes page 1 in the subject line and shows page 1 in the main part. When they go to send page 2 it describes page 2 in the subject line but in the main part it shows page 1. 

I have found that this problem is only happening with 1 website, if they go to google for instance and send that page it shows google in the description and shows the google page in the main part. Also if the users sends page 1 and then closes IE, re-opens it and goes to page 2, it will be described as page 2 in the subject line and show page 2 in the main part.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give you guys as much info as possible to save time. Any assistance would be great thanks.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 3:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Ian Olayvar,

To use Send page or Send link, you need to have a default e-mail program set.

Except for 2 exceptions (covered later) you cannot use a web-based e-mail service as the default. On Windows 8, you can't use the mail app as the default.

Windows Live Mail is popular and can easily be set to use Hotmail or Outlook.com as the e-mail service
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials?os=other

Thunderbird is another popular e-mail program http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

Microsoft Office Outlook (not outlook.com) can also be set as the default e-mail program.

After installing an e-mail program, verify that you have a default e-mail program set from Control Panel> Default programs> Set program access and computer defaults> Custom> click the down caret.

The default e-mail program must be installed on the computer- e.g.Outlook Express, Windows Mail (Vista), Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird, etc.

If you have set the default email and still the issue persists, I would also suggest you to Reset Internet Explorer settings and check if it works.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/923737

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 9:48 AM
  • I work in IT and I have a user with a problem where they cannot send webpages. Be send I mean they go into IE > File > send > page by e-mail. When they do this for the first time after they open IE and they go to the webpage they need to send, they can send that one just fine. It will open up outlook give a description of the page in the subject line and in the main part it will show the page just fine. Now if they go to the next page they need to send they will do file > send..... and then outlook will pop up, the description will show correctly, but the page that shows up in the main part is the one they first sent. It does not match the second page they are trying to send. 

Explained in a different way, they have page 1 and page 2 they need to send, the 2 pages are different parts of the same website. The user will send page 1 and it describes page 1 in the subject line and shows page 1 in the main part. When they go to send page 2 it describes page 2 in the subject line but in the main part it shows page 1. 

I have found that this problem is only happening with 1 website, if they go to google for instance and send that page it shows google in the description and shows the google page in the main part. Also if the users sends page 1 and then closes IE, re-opens it and goes to page 2, it will be described as page 2 in the subject line and show page 2 in the main part.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give you guys as much info as possible to save time. Any assistance would be great thanks.

My issue has nothing to do with what the default program is, it already automatically brings up and outlook window as stated in the above post.

"It will open up outlook give a description of the page in the subject line and in the main part it will show the page just fine."

There is no problem with an email program popping up. My problem is with repeated sending as stated in my first post. IE sees outlook just fine, it will open a new message window in out look every time. The problem is with how IE sends pages from a specific website this user is using.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 4:40 PM
  • Hi Ian,

<quote>

There is no problem with an email program popping up. My problem is with repeated sending as stated in my first post. IE sees outlook just fine, it will open a new message window in out look every time. The problem is with how IE sends pages from a specific website this user is using.

</quote>

If the issue happens only on one 'specific website', then it would help if you included the address of that website with your question, so that we can visit it to investigate the issue and reproduce your issue ourselves......

however, since it is only occurring on 'specific website', it is more likely a problem with how that website has been coded (html and css)...

Using the following test plan, I have no issues using the File>Send>Page by Email

at this web address.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home?prof=required

select the File>Send>Page by Email menu option in IE....

...please include the web address of any websites that you are having problems with your questions.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, August 12, 2016 3:07 AM
  • I totally agree with you, the only problem is that I can't give you the site for security reasons. I personally don't think that it is the html/css coding though. But I do agree that it is the website for sure. Also this never happened when the user had IE10 this all started happening when the user upgraded to IE11. I have checked the compatibility mode settings and those are good, its not a security setting that I can see. I'm just out of ideas on things to check and look for.  
    Friday, August 12, 2016 3:21 PM
  • When they go to send page 2 it describes page 2 in the subject line but in the main part it shows page 1. 

Tell them to use Print Selection instead of Print selected page.  The problem will be the URL and its fragments.   Note that you haven't specified what happens exactly "when they go to send page 2" while they are in page 1.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, August 13, 2016 6:43 PM
    Answerer
  • but thats what I mean, they go from page 1 and load page 2 and then while you are looking at page 2 in the browser window. Then they go to file > send > page by email, and thats when it shows a page 2 description in the subject line, but still shows page 1 in the message area.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 4:22 PM
  • but thats what I mean, they go from page 1 and load page 2
    This still does not specify what is in the Address bar (the URL) nor does it tell us if there is a fragment name involved there.  Even if you said that you were opening "page 2" in a new tab it still would not be clear if the URL would be the same in each case.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 4:53 PM
    Answerer
  • Gotcha so page 1 and page 2 could have identical URLs. If that is the case though, that doesn't account for the fact that it used to work when the user had IE10, this didn't start happening till the upgrade to IE11. 
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 10:27 PM
  • used to work when the user had IE10
    So for all we know your particular case could be that it used to work by exploiting a quirk which has now been "fixed".   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 4:48 AM
    Answerer
  • Alright I will look into this, another question though. The user can save the page 1 and page 2, and when you open the .htm files they both show the correct page. Would this information change your current theory?
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 5:04 PM
  • The user can save the page 1 and page 2, and when you open the .htm files they both show the correct page.

That sounds like a workaround but I think what it probably does is takes the original .CSS out of the picture.

It would be good if you had a publicly accessible example for us to play with for you.  But this has reminded me of one that used a support page.  If that is still available it may give you some insight for your own example.

I don't think that this is the example that I wanted to find but it does give you another possible workaround to play with to help understand your symptom

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e1ed1c42-8663-4686-8f93-11b198191cea/unable-to-print-using-internet-explorer-printer-error-49-4c02-error?forum=ieitprocurrentver#333ab6b5-3b3d-442b-a0dd-7563ae331191 

(BING search for
        css support aldwinckle print developer tools site:technet.microsoft.com
    )

<quote>

use RegEdit to do a global disabling of all CSS.  A bit extreme but it might help satisfy the test objective.

</quote>

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 7:31 PM
    Answerer
  • alright thanks i will take a look at all this and get back to you
    • Edited by Ian Olayvar Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:09 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:04 PM