none
Locked out after docking laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I use a Dell laptop and docking station at work, and I take my laptop home every night.  Yesterday when I came in I docked my laptop, and got to the login screen.  On my first log in attempt the computer locked me out for 15 minutes.  Once I waited the 15 minutes I was able to log in with no issues.  I tried to duplicate the issue for the IT team, but no matter what I did the issue would not happen again.  I shut the laptop down, undocked/redocked, power it up.  I was able to log on with no issues.

This morning I came in (took my laptop home last night), and re-docked my laptop.  The issue was back again.  I don't know what is causing the issue from home and work.  I use a VPN network to connect to work stuff when I am at home.  I checked my cellphone that I use sometimes to check work e-mail.  The password on that is the same password I use to log onto laptop.  I know that can cause a conflict if those don't match, but that isn't the issue.

I am at a loss as to why this keeps doing this.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 2:03 PM

Answers

• Shouldn't have to do this but since it seems consistent after being at home, how about you do an IPCONFIG /RELEASE when you are about to shut down at home. Then check same steps.

Also try manually switching off your wireless NIC. Again shouldn't need to but would be interesting to see if either of these tests give you any joy. If so, you can at least focus there. ;-)

Ha®®y

Thursday, January 7, 2016 3:41 PM

All replies

• Also when I bring the laptop in from home its completely shut down not in sleep mode.
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 2:36 PM
  • Did you check Event Viewer logs for any issues? Sometimes this can happen if there is any handshake failure with domain controller.

Balaji Kundalam

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 7:21 AM
  • We (IT support member) and I are currently looking over the logs.  When I came into work this morning the computer did it again, and locked me out for 15 minutes on first login attempt.  I sent an e-mail from my phone to support at 7:08AM.  Its showing that I logged onto the computer this morning at 7:23AM. There is nothing previous to that in the event logs. 
    Wednesday, January 6, 2016 1:03 PM
  • Shouldn't have to do this but since it seems consistent after being at home, how about you do an IPCONFIG /RELEASE when you are about to shut down at home. Then check same steps.

Also try manually switching off your wireless NIC. Again shouldn't need to but would be interesting to see if either of these tests give you any joy. If so, you can at least focus there. ;-)

Ha®®y

Thursday, January 7, 2016 3:41 PM
  • Harry I will try yours out if the computer does it again.  My IT department reset my password at the end of the day yesterday.  I updated the password on my phone I use to access the e-mail server at work.

I docked the laptop today and everything was working perfectly.  Personally I don't believe the password reset was the permanent fix, but I am just glad I don't have to wait 15 minutes to log in.

Thursday, January 7, 2016 10:06 PM
  • Glad to hear this issue did not happened again. Thanks for sharing. 

if you've confirmed that issue has been resolved. We would appreciate it if you could share with us or mark it as answer.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 18, 2016 1:37 AM