Outlook 2016 Custom Keyboard Shortcuts RRS feed

• Question

• I was sent from another Microsoft forum to this one because it says Microsoft has removed the ability to customize keyboard shortcuts in Outlook 2016 (thanks Microsoft for taking features away...PLEASE take a lesson from Apple and only ADD features), but I can't find any work-around on this post that was recommended.
    Saturday, December 16, 2017 4:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Outlook doesn't provide an option to customize keyboard shortcuts. As far as I know, it's not a removed feature, it's just not supported. See this thread in which our MVP Robert explained this in details.

As a workaround, you may consider to use Quick Steps in Outlook and see whether it could achieve what you want. You can click the Quick Steps directly or you can also assign keyboard shortcuts to them. See the following article if you are not familiar with Quick Steps:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Automate-common-or-repetitive-tasks-with-Quick-Steps-a9caf57e-0eb0-4b48-9141-a9904da0aaf9

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:48 AM
    Monday, December 18, 2017 3:15 AM
  • Hi,

How is everything going? Do you need further assistance on this thread?

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 9:49 AM
  • Hi, how to prevent Outlook 2016 from closing email window when pressing escape key? When I use copy-paste it provides pasting options that blocks my workflow, so I got the habit of pressing escape to get rid of it, but sometimes it will close the email window by accident. How to change this keyboard shortcut/prevent this undesirable behaviour? I don't want the escape key to close my email windows in Outlook...

RemBoy

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 8:56 PM
  • It IS a removed feature. In outlook 2007 I was able to assign symbols to shortcuts which allowed me to type French accents with my US layout keyboard using shortcuts, for example ç would be assigned to alt-c... a mucht quicker solution than having to go insert symbol and searching and clicking on the symbol needed, which takes forever.  It is a big step backwards. Other annoyances are that I cannot set the calendar to go to the day view when clickin on a day in the month overview (it somehow assumes that I want to create a new appointment). And outlook 2016 refuses to open in the outlook today page. All in all outlook 2016 is a big step backwards for me compared to outlook 2007 that I was using to full satisfaction but that refuses to install on my new computer.

Start of quote:

Hi,

Outlook doesn't provide an option to customize keyboard shortcuts. As far as I know, it's not a removed feature, it's just not supported. See this thread in which our MVP Robert explained this in details.

As a workaround, you may consider to use Quick Steps in Outlook and see whether it could achieve what you want. You can click the Quick Steps directly or you can also assign keyboard shortcuts to them. See the following article if you are not familiar with Quick Steps:

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, 

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:42 AM
  • This is not true.  I used keyboard shortcuts all the time in Outlook 2016.  I agree that it is a ridiculous step backward.  Why would MS remove a useful feature?
    Friday, December 21, 2018 4:20 PM
  • This is just ridiculous, Microsoft never ceases to shock me with things like this. Such bloated applications with features that users never touch in a lifetime yet lacking such basic functionalities and features which are needed! 
    • Edited by JaiWebb Tuesday, January 29, 2019 9:44 AM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2019 9:43 AM
  • You are right, I used predefined keyboard shortcut (Ctrl-F2 to Ctrl-12) to assign categories to IMAP messages (because categories are not available for IMAP accounts) but I recently discovered that they were not working anymore. I used conditional formatting and the messages already formatted are still correctly formatted, if I go to see the conditional formatting option of my inbox everything is still there, including the keyboard shortcuts but they are simply not working anymore. It's often the case with Microsoft, they decide unilaterally to remove features that users are happy with without any advertising. It's seems to be the same with a lot of other features. they are boring.
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 6:43 AM
  • Quick Steps only offers the option to do about 10 things, all related to what you can do with a message as a whole. There is no option to do anything that is not already in plain view on the ribbon. Keyboard shortcuts are helpful to replace commands that are buried in some obscure place. Customizing keyboard shortcuts allow a user to have a consistent experience across multiple applications within their domain of daily tasks. There is just one command I need to change to use CTRL+F. You have so hidden the find feature that it requires hunting to find it every time. Forward message, however, is right there in your face: on the ribbon, on the context menu, at the top of the reading pane. Forwarding does not need a keyboard shortcut. Finding text within a chain of 12 emailed messages from 4 different people is critical to my productivity.

Microsoft Outlook team, GET A CLUE !!!!!

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 3:23 PM
  • I followed first the instructions for Word in Outlook (Customize the Ribbon and keyboard shortcuts pane, select Customize). And then… strangely (in Outlook): First the keyboard shortcuts pane and Customize-button appear for a second, only to disappear right afterwards while the size of the Option-window is reduced to fit. So I wonder, if the functionality still exists in the background..?

Thursday, March 19, 2020 10:24 AM