none
Hyper V internal network no ping between real and virtual server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a 2012 server with a static 192.168.1.102 ip address and a 255.255.255.0 subnetmask. This server can be pinged by other servers. 

On this server I have Hyper V installed, and configured a virtual internal network switch. 

In Hyper V, I installed a 2012 server, using the virtual internal network switch, with the static 192.168.1.111 ip address and 255.255.255.0 subnetmask. The virtual server can ping other virtual computers using the same virtual internal network switch.

However, the host server can't ping the virtual server and vice versa. What am I doing wrong? I there something else that needs to be configured?

Friday, July 11, 2014 5:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Reads as if you have two NICs with an IP in the same subnet range, but those NICs are physically isolated.

Either way, if this is right it is considered a bad configuration.

If a single host has multiple interfaces, it is customary for them to be on different segments or subnets.  With only one interface having a default gateway.

In your case.  Whichever of the two NICs has the default gateway or is first in the binding order is where the replies will be sent from.  Since they are both on the same subnet.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Friday, July 11, 2014 5:42 PM
  • Hi Brian, thanks for your reply. 

I have only one hardware NIC. I configured it by going on the host server to control panel -> network and internet -> network connections. 

After installing hyper v and configuring an internal virtual switch, a second (virtual) nic appeared on the host server in control panel -> network and internet -> network connections 

Do you know if and how I need to configure this virtual nic to make the host server and the virtual server communicate with each other?

Friday, July 11, 2014 6:10 PM
  • This second vNIC needs to be manually configured (as do the VMs) with an IP on the same subnet as the VMs.

The vNIC on the physical network and the vNIC attached to the Internal Virtual Switch cannot be configured with IP addresses from the same subnet.  They must be on different subnets.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Friday, July 11, 2014 6:27 PM
  • Hi thanks for the help. I now have the following configuration:

host server NIC:  192.168.1.102 /24
    vNIC on host server:  172.16.0.1 /16
    virtual server NIC: 172.16.0.111/16

I can now ping the virtual server from the host server! But the other way around I get an error. (Ping: transmit failes. general failure). I can ping the vNIC from the virtual server without any problems.

I've been experimenting a bit and if I give the hostserver NIC, the vNIC on the host server and the virtual server NIC an 192.168.1.X/24 address I can also ping the virtual server from the host server. But if I do this  I still can't ping the host server from the virtual server. I get an: "destination host unreachable" error. 

I don't understand why. I should be technically possible to have an internal network where virtual servers can contact the host. Is there anything I am overlooking?

Friday, July 11, 2014 7:46 PM
  • Did you enable the ping response firewall rule?

By default 2008 R2 and later won't reply to ping.

Set-NetFirewallRule –Name “FPS-ICMP4-ERQ-In” –Enabled True

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Friday, July 11, 2014 8:20 PM
  • Yes ping response in enabled in the firewall. Other servers can ping the host hyper-v server without any problem and other virtual computers can ping the virtual server.

Kind regards Robert

Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:20 PM
  • Try unplugging the physical nic.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Saturday, July 12, 2014 3:07 PM
  • "I can now ping the virtual server from the host server! But the other way around I get an error. (Ping: transmit failes. general failure). "

Which address are you trying to ping?  If you are trying to ping the 192.*.*.* address, you need a router in your environment.  If you are trying to ping the 172.*.** address, then we will need some more information about network configurations on both systems.  ipconfig /all

. : | : . : | : . tim

Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Hi,

If you want to connected your guest vm and your host you must setting this vms to the same virtual switch and at the same subnet, the Hyper-V internal virtual switch can't connect the host directly.

More information:

Hyper-V: What are the uses for different types of virtual networks?
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/jhoward/archive/2008/06/17/hyper-v-what-are-the-uses-for-different-types-of-virtual-networks.aspx
    Hope this helps.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, July 18, 2014 2:05 AM
  • Employees, Agents, Moderators and TN admins should be disallowed from marking their questions as answers. Once again.. This information is not helpful. Once again.. you have no confirmation that it contained useful information. Even worse is that your response is grammatically flawed and leaves readers with MORE QUESTIONS due to a self-contradictory statement.

Following this "advice" the problem remains. An INTERNAL VIRTUAL SWITCH does not allow ping between host and guest (in either direction) no matter what is done.. your referencing outdated material also does not help. I question that you have ever actually done this with any success or this answer would have contained OTHER information.

Perhaps moderators should test their advice before marking their advice as a solution/answer to a problem/question, even going so far as to provide real, working samples as proof.. then you can cite other forum posts instead of random blogs that appear to contain the answer you're looking for. This is why nobody takes 'Social TechNet' seriously anymore, or really any MS Forums where agents appear to be instructed to perform this kind of closure. We're better off using another resource where the community, or original poster, is the entity which marks responses as answers/solutions. I wonder how much longer before Microsoft will end this joke of a support medium, it's pretty obvious that one closed thread after another is actually quite useless and only looks goods on performance/KPI reports directed at upper management and contract enforcers.. this activity/behavior is 100% useless to the rest of the world.

Your job should be to solve problems, not mark questions as answered.
    Monday, August 10, 2015 2:56 AM
  • Sorry. Am I right to understand that i cannot set core and VM work in the same network through internal switch? Fnd it means that there can not be shared folder? I have ping between VM, but still no shring and ping from CORE to VM's. Even if firewall is off.
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:48 PM
  • You are responding to a nearly two year old post.  You would be better served to create a new post and in it provide a description of your environment and the results of what you have tried.  And since the issue seems to be network related, be sure to include the text output of ipconfig /all for the machines being used in the test.

tim

Monday, May 29, 2017 2:51 PM
  • HOST HYPER-V
    PHYSIC NETWORK 192.168.1.50 / 255.255.0.0
    INTERNAL NETWORK 192.168.1.12 / 255.255.0.0
    VM WITH INTERNAL NETWORK 192.168.1.10 /255.255.0.0

TEST

PING FROM VM TO HOST PHYSIC NET -> 192.168.1.50 (NOT WORK, ITS OK)
    PING FROM VM TO HOST INTERNAL NET -> 192.168.1.12 (WORK, ITS OK)

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 2:32 PM
  • Internal networks cannot communicate with external networks.  That is the way they are designed.

tim

Thursday, October 4, 2018 12:44 PM