none
Disabling Automatic Updates RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently run into a problem disabling the Automatic Updates feature of Windows XP pro (SP3). I had turned off the automatic update feature so that it would not interfere with our video programs. Our systems ran for over a year with only the normal "Your computer might be at risk" pop up balloon at start up each day. Recently that pop up balloon has appeared during the day at odd intervals and interrupted our video program, causing it to close. I went back to the control panel to check the settings on Automatic Updates. I found that no selection was highlighted. I have found this on all of our systems. I have since set them all back to "Turn Off Automatic Updates". Will this having to reset a choice for Automatic Updates be an ongoing issue or is there a way to disable it entirely?
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 5:16 PM

All replies

• You can disable the service itself. You can also configure the settings via group policy (or disable the service...or both).

Disclaimer: I recommend keeping it on and setting a schedule for it to check for/download/install updates that doesn't interfere with the work day :)

Brandon Wilson - Premier Field Engineer (Platforms)
    Friday, November 4, 2011 4:12 AM
  • Thank you for the reply Brandon. I need to give you some more background. These systems are in mobile trailers and are never connected to the internet. We are trying to run the bare bones of XP. I can live with just turning Auto Updates off as long as it doesn't reset at some later time. If our company does well then there are plans to redesign the program that would eliminate this problem. Is there a reason that Auto Updates reset itself? Thanks for your help with this problem. A. Finch
    Friday, November 4, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Coincidentally, updates would be the first thing to pop to mind as to why it would enable itself...or potentially a software install. 

Disabling the service will turn it off entirely, regardless of any configuration it has.

Brandon Wilson - Premier Field Engineer (Platforms)
    Friday, November 4, 2011 7:16 PM
  • I have seen this happen (among other things) when you install a Service Pack.

So if you have manually applied a Service Pack you downloaded a put on a removable drive, that could be the cause of the automatic update reverting to its default setting.

Saturday, November 5, 2011 4:48 AM