Windows 10 will not start/boot after windows update (13 January 2018) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

My laptop had an issue today. It could not connect to any WIFI, so i tried to restart my laptop.

While restarting, Windows 10 started to update and after 30% it said something went wrong with the update.  

Now i can't even boot Windows 10 anymore. I can only see the Windows logo and some dots spinning around in a circle. After restarting 2-3 times nothing.

After restarting 2-3 times windows gives me the option to enter Windows in safe-mode: "Choose an option": 1)"Continue" 2)"Use a device" (Use USB drive, network, DVD) 3)"Troubleshoot" 4)"Turn off your PC". By pressing: troubleshoot --> Advanced Option --> Start up Settings --> Enable safe mode, I can now start the pc in safe-mode. But what do I do after I have booted the laptop in safe-mode? How can i solve the Windows boot problem?

My pc is an HP Envy 17-j164no - Core i7 4710MQ / 2.5 GHz 12 GB Ram 750 GBHDD

Update - 04-02-2018

The problem is the windows update: KB4056892 and windows know there is a problem with some old AMD processors: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073290/unbootable-state-for-amd-devices-in-windows-10-version-1709

"Microsoft has reports of some customers on a small subset of older AMD processors getting into an unbootable state after installing this KB". https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056892/windows-10-update-kb4056892

I first tried to uninstall the update by doing a system restore. But this only fixed my pc for about two weeks. Windows installed the update again automatic. I tried to make a new system restore but the update was still on the pc, ready to get installed and turned off my wifi. I fixed this problem by installing wushowhide.diagcab from this webside: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window it was able to remove the update. 

I then changed the settings in windows update so it would not update the KB4056892 again: 

1. Windows key + r
    2. Write: services.msc
    3. Find Windows Update on the list
    4. Double tap on it
    5. Select deactivate 

This is my temporary solution. 

There is another solution I haven't tried yet: 

Windows suggest you can download another update if you got the KB4056892  here: http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4073290

Saturday, January 13, 2018 7:44 PM

Answers

• Finally I was able to solve the problem for me.

*) start the notebook in safe mode with deactivated network drivers
    *) deactivate all network drivers in hardware device manager
    *) now booting in standard mode should work again
    *) enable all network drivers except Wireless (on my PC this is Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260)
    *) booting should still work
    *) revert WLAN driver back to prior version (on my PC from 1.10.2017 to 22.02.2015)

Hope this helps you too.
    Monday, January 15, 2018 5:34 PM

All replies

• I have this exact same problem. Was prompted last night to update, the update took quite some time so I just left it overnight. Upon restarting I was having problems with the touchscreen going crazy and not allowing me to click anything, also the WiFi didn’t work. Tried to go into safe mode to turn off the touch screen settings, now I am stuck in automatic repair. After multiple restarts and and trying to use all options in automatic repair, nothing has worked. This for an intel processor. I’m unable to even enter safe mode.Please help. Thanks

• Edited by Shl91 Sunday, January 14, 2018 3:04 PM
    Saturday, January 13, 2018 8:07 PM
  • I have the same problem. I tried to restore from a four month old image. After some reboots (and automatic Windows updates) W10 again does not start anymore. Problem started yesterday night. 

Saturday, January 13, 2018 11:07 PM
  • I have tried to use 'HP System recovery' and go back to 01.01.2018, but the process was stuck for hours and would not finish. I think it is unable to finish because of the Windows 10 security update 'KB4054517' i got the 13 January. I have tried to uninstall and block the update from Windows 10, but every time i try to restart the pc, Windows somehow start to update 'KB4054517' :/  

Windows confirm a security update is the reason for the unbootable-state issue -->

- https://www.windowslatest.com/2017/12/14/windows-10-kb4054517-build-16299-125-not-installing/ (January 10.2018) 

But is there somehow we can fix this? I got an exam this Friday and i really need my pc to prepare for it. 

Sunday, January 14, 2018 12:03 PM
  • My problem began on Friday. After hours of attempting various fixes, I finally was able to restore to an earlier date and the computer worked until today. Same problem as described by others..no WiFi and unable to start...spinning wheel now for an hour. Microsoft...please solve immediately. I cannot do my job without this computer.
    Sunday, January 14, 2018 3:39 PM
  • This first method will be for all of those that have failure with pending update:

1) Find a flash drive that you can format ( > or = 8 GB)

2) Create a bootable Windows 10 iso:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3) Insert the bootable windows 10 iso into any USB port

4) Power on the computer and repetitively click the applicable keyboard key to boot to the BIOS boot menu:

http://www.disk-image.com/faq-bootmenu.htm

5) Select external USB hard drive

6) It may take 5 -10 minutes for the iso to load while viewing the Windows idcon

7) Select language, time, currency, and keyboard or click next

8) In the left lower corner click "repair your computer"  (do not click install as that is the method to perform a clean install)

9) Click troubleshoot

10) Start with system restore with the oldest date and keep tying system restore until all fail.  If there are no working restore points or if there were no system restore points move to the next step.

11) Attempt startup repair.  If this fails move to the next step

12) Click command prompt > Administrator: X:\Windows\system32.exe > X:Sources>

13) Type:  bcdedit | find "osdevice"

14) type:  dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

(Change letter C if necessary to the drive letter for the partition)

For  those that have failure to boot report into the thread whether you still need help to fix to the boot and there are more troubleshooting steps.

Monday, January 15, 2018 7:53 AM
  • Thanks for det answer questionformicrosoftproducts!!! 

I am not a tech skilled guy, so I don't know how to do all of the steps :/ Can anyone confirm this method works? I don't understand why Microsoft can't fix this in an easy way? They basically ruined mine and a lot of peoples laptops with a single update. That is pretty annoying and should never happen. 

Also thank you Momominta for the link. The steps will unfortunately not work because after I have installed the 'HP Image Enhancement', it requires to restart the pc and that is when windows update will freeze and the pc won't start :/ 

Monday, January 15, 2018 1:40 PM
  • Hi

I have the same problem here. Following Friday's MS intel update I was using MY HP Envy desktop, when a MS message popped up to schedule the restart to apply the patch, but when I gave it a time to restart my network card stopped working and I only had Airplane mode as an option. I decided to restart to reset the drivers, but could not get past the HP logo. After a couple of attempts it started auto repair which failed, but gave me several options. I have tried system restore and system repair, neither of which work.

I have left it since to see what happened to others, but it only seems to have affected some people... I'm running an Intel chip so not directly linked to the AMD issue last week. My brother also has the same issue on his Linx 1010 tablet since Saturday.

I was hoping Microsoft themselves would provide a fix or notify users themselves as it is directly linked to their Meltdown/Spectre patching.

I'll try questionsformicrosoftproducts advice later, but hopefully we'll hear from Microsoft themselves soon.

Monday, January 15, 2018 3:21 PM
  • I applied the suggested fix which reported successful in executing the cleanup, however, it did not resolve the issue.  They still do not boot into Windows.  Multiple HP laptops are down in our org and I can recover those that have restore points by rolling back to before the update.  Any without restore points remain unrepairable.
    Monday, January 15, 2018 4:16 PM

*) enable all network drivers except Wireless (on my PC this is Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260)
    *) revert WLAN driver back to prior version (on my PC from 1.10.2017 to 22.02.2015)

Hope this helps you too.
    Monday, January 15, 2018 5:34 PM
  • Each computer environment is different.

There are some things in common.

If these fail: system restore, startup repair, dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

there are other troubleshooting steps:

Please use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures and post images into the thread.

Use one drive or drop share links.

1) open the iso windows advanced troubleshooting menu > Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources>

2) type:  chkdsk /r

(this may take time to complete and may display estimated time)

3) type:  bcdedit | find "osdevice"

4) type:  sfc /scannow /offbootdir=G:\ /offwindir=G:\windows  (Change each drive letter G to the partition displayed in the prior command.)

5) type:  bootrec /fixmbr

6) type:  bootrec /fixboot

7) type:  bootrec /scanos

8) type:  bootrec /rebuildbcd

9) type: exit

10 reboot

11) report results into the thread.

Monday, January 15, 2018 5:49 PM

Hope this helps you too.

Thank you for sharing the solution.
    I have noticed that this bug happened after I installed the update: Intel - net - 10/1/2017 12:00:00 AM - 18.33.9.3 (http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=89a07b52-4b94-4629-a8e9-61de46f235c4)  through Windows Update.

So, I tried a fresh Windows install (Yes, I lost my files) and ran the "Show/Hide updates" as described on this article (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window) and hid this update. Unfortunately the driver has been installed as soon as I rebooted my laptop and was unable to try anything.Now I'm desperate because I cannot find any option on recovery menu which let me boot into safe mode (the advanced menu does not show anything related to that).

By the way it is goes, I will end up making a fresh install for the 5th time.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 1:22 PM
  • To boot into safe mode there are several methods.

1) > click the left lower corner windows icon > click power > hold down continuously the shift key while clicking restart > should reboot into safe mode

2) control + alt + del (simultaneously) > open task manager > click file > click run new task > check the box:  create this task with administrative privileges > type:  shutdown /r /o /f /t 00 > should reboot to the Windows advanced troubleshooting menu > select startup options > restart > select safe mode (if prefer safe mode with command prompt then #6)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2304-boot-into-safe-mode-windows-10-a.html

By default Windows will update non-Microsoft drivers.  The options to turn off Windows updates of non-Microsoft drivers varies by windows version and build.  In this link you may need to start with option #3 if you have the latest version and build:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-enable-disable-driver-updates-windows-update-windows-10-a.html

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 5:37 PM
  • It is definitely an update issue.

My solution for now is to restore from a system restore point, e.g. 12th of January 2018. After that the notebook (Probook 450 G1) boots up Windows 10 again until the update is automatically installed again. Unfortunately some of these notebooks needed to rejoin the domain.

Does anybody know the exact update (KBxxx) that destroys Windows?
    EDIT: It seems it is KB4056892

You are able to restore from a system restore point using the Windows 10 recovery options:

Troubleshoot --> Advanced Options --> System Restore (using a recent restore point)

Regards from Vienna

PS. These guys here are facing the same issues

• Edited by prinzit Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:03 AM
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:45 AM
  • Hi prinzit!

I have exact the same notebeool (HP Probook 450 G1). Try the solution i proposed above.

Regards from Graz

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 10:56 AM
  • To boot into safe mode there are several methods.

1) > click the left lower corner windows icon > click power > hold down continuously the shift key while clicking restart > should reboot into safe mode

2) control + alt + del (simultaneously) > open task manager > click file > click run new task > check the box:  create this task with administrative privileges > type:  shutdown /r /o /f /t 00 > should reboot to the Windows advanced troubleshooting menu > select startup options > restart > select safe mode (if prefer safe mode with command prompt then #6)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2304-boot-into-safe-mode-windows-10-a.html

By default Windows will update non-Microsoft drivers.  The options to turn off Windows updates of non-Microsoft drivers varies by windows version and build.  In this link you may need to start with option #3 if you have the latest version and build:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-enable-disable-driver-updates-windows-update-windows-10-a.html

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately I am still unable to boot into safe mode (my computer simply ignore the commands and freezes when I choose "Boot into safe mode"). And about the steps to avoid the driver updates through Windows Update, even though I followed the second and the fourth step of the tutorial, the driver updated automatically (but I managed to solve the problem - steps below).

As Didi102 mentioned, the problem is with the Wireless Driver, but once I knew I couldn't boot into safe mode, as soon as my Wi-Fi stopped working, I plugged an ethernet cable and downloaded the manufacturer version and the latest version (Intel Download Center) of the driver. Then:

• Installed the latest version of the driver and checked if it upgraded.
    • The version was still 18.33.9.3, so I disabled the device.
    • Rebooted Windows.
    • Ran the diver installer again (the latest version) and selected "remove".
    • Installed the manufacturer version.
    • Profit!

Well, I don't know exactly what I was doing and what resolved my problem, but it worked.

I hope not to get into trouble like this again.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:19 PM
  • Hi all, 

Seems you get the known issue when install the update with incompatible AV or AMD processor states in this KB. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4073707/windows-os-security-update-block-for-some-amd-based-devices

We may need to do the system recovery or restore to fix this issue. 

Also, I have noticed that following updates were released to address this issue for Windows 10 1607, 1703:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4057142

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4057144

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 3:01 AM
    Owner
  • I had a similar boot problem with the latest Microsoft patches for Vista and Office 2007 on my older Lenovo laptop.

The multiple patches were installed successfully. However, the PC cannot be re-booted or booted up. It goes into an infinite blue screen.

I had to boot up in safe mode with networking. After that I went back to an older restore point which I know works. On my  Vista, that was the January 8th update (which is only for Defender image).

I now disable the automated Windows update and will only allow manual download updates into my PC.

Microsoft needs to do a much more thorough system test on patches for Spectre before rolling out and creating all sort  of boot issues to its customer base.

Besides, the Spectre patches are going to slow down tremendously all PCs, so I will now think more than twice before installing them. In my view, we should wait out for a few months before installing any new patches until there are known stable fixes.

The issue with Spectre related to chip architecture and this is known for a long time with system architects. I do not see any possible real fixes unless there is a new generation of chip with a different architecture and that is at least many years away.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 8:11 PM
  • Hoi All,

I have a HP envy 17 with the same update shut down. After 7 days of searching i have found a solution that seems to work. I coult still use a restore point, and i have found this web site.

https://www.itechtics.com/disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows/. I have used the 3th solution, and after reboot, windows update say: update 10/01/2018 ( the faulty one ) is installed, my wifi is working fine with the old driver.

greetings from Belgium.

Saturday, January 20, 2018 5:03 PM
  • My old AMD PC still tries to install the 1709 update after which it will not boot anymore. AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Windsor 90nm, Family F, ext Family F, model 3, ext model 43, stepping 3, rev JH-F3.

Reverted back to an old restore point and paused updating for now. I hope this gets fixed before 24-2-2018 when the pause ends. 
    • Edited by Elbertse Sunday, January 21, 2018 6:05 PM
    Sunday, January 21, 2018 6:03 PM
  • I have a couple HP Envy desktop machines and they too are suffering after installing [Intel - net - 10/1/2017 12:00:00 AM - 18.33.9.3] 

I have tried most of the remedies described above without success. Every time I start my PC I have to go through a safe mode boot and system restore which is taking the best part of half an hour, and I'm slowly losing the will to live!

The ironic thing is that MS keep sending 'Malicious software removal' tools, yet this update is the most malicious thing I've downloaded in years. I appreciate the scale of the variables that MS have to take into account when producing these updates and ease of overlooking certain hardware configurations; but the HP ENVY range is/was a near top-end system using standard components.

In my view the LEAST that can be done now is to provide those who are affected with some means to prevent this download while they sort out the problems. 

Monday, January 22, 2018 9:35 AM
  • How can you succeed to do a system restore of your pc? 

My failed method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyMWcs008QA

I tried to do a system recovery of the date 01.01.2018. But the pc restarts and starts to update to 30%. and after that it's display:

"Please wait while your Windows files and settings are being restored"

"System restore is initialising"

And nothing happens... 

Monday, January 22, 2018 2:07 PM
  • Same issue as most people in this thread. HP Envy 15-k062 experiencing wifi down after Windows Update installed KB4056892. After reboot, ...just the spinning wheel. Was able to reboot using DVD and revert to a Restore Point prior to the update. Same error reproduced several times. Have stopped and disabled the Windows Update service until I find a fix. Running Intel Dual Band Wireless AC-3160, driver version 17.16.2.1, April 16, 2015. Windows insist this is the best driver available, though painful experience proves otherwise. After reading these posts, I'll do a manual search for a better driver and see what happens. Will post again if I have some progress.
    Monday, January 22, 2018 10:41 PM
  • This happened to me as well.  I have Windows 10 Education Edition and I have been avoiding updates because every time I would allow them to run previously, they would just cause boot issues and revert back to original system settings.  This time, the forced security update has put my machine into an unbootable loop of "trying" to revert back to original settings.  

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 6:48 AM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, Standalone hotfixes released to address AMD issue (and know other known issues) so far:

Win10 1709: https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4073290/unbootable-state-for-amd-devices-in-windows-10-version-1709

Win10 1703: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4057144

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 7:44 AM
  • I am working through this same issue.  My machine is also an HP Envy desktop.

I believe the issue is the Intel - net -10-1-2017 as well.  I have been working with Microsoft 2nd level technicians to resolve the issue, but no solution yet.   The Intel update seems to cause a problem in the boot file.

So far my computer functions if I restore to a previous point prior to the updates and then disable the updates under services.  If I allow updates to proceed, the computer goes back to the non-functional state seemingly with install of the Intel update. 

This is the second issue I have had with an Intel update with my Envy machine.  The bluetooth/wireless driver update also caused me headaches.  I had to revert to original driver through HP driver recovery application.  Unfortunately, I cannot reach the driver recovery with this Intel boot issue.  

Update:

I have been talking with Microsoft.  I was told that they do not have a solution for this now.  They will work on a patch for this issue and get back to me next month!  For now I will just need to keep Windows updates disabled.

• Edited by DouglasTh Thursday, January 25, 2018 5:24 PM
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 1:42 AM
  • There are methods to turn off Windows updates of non-Microsoft drivers.

The menu settings have become more limited as Windows 10 has moved from 1511 > 1607 > 1703 > 1709

In this link if you are using the latest build of Windows 10 you may need to start with option #3.

It's an all or none process.  So all non-Microsoft drivers can or cannot be updated depending on the selection made:

Thursday, January 25, 2018 1:52 AM
  • We've been running into this problem with 3 PCs. 

All where HP, all running an I5 or higher. 

It turned out, that windows get's stuck after the update, if Intel VT-x (Virtualization) is enable in the Bios. 
    disabling this, and Windows starts normally. 

Unfortunately we need virtualization on these 3 Machines, so we had to uninstall the patch (after turning VT-x off), then enable it again. 

• Edited by dognose Thursday, January 25, 2018 8:12 AM
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 8:12 AM
  • All how do you reboot in safe mode. My desktop continually loops in Restoring your previous version of windows. This is after the update failed to load for a week and reverted to earlier version of windows 10 successfully. Now I cannot access anything and it wont install from USB either.

I also am annoyed that this has happened due to a an update that you are obliged to complete but causes a major error if it does not complete.

Any help will be appreciated

Saturday, January 27, 2018 8:49 PM
  • Droopy52 and anyone else with problems:

Please start a new thread.

Open the website for the computer/motherboard > enter product or serial number or model > select operating system > view drivers > post a URL or hyperlink into the thread.

Find a flash drive that you can format ( > or = 8 GB)

Create a bootable windows 10 iso:

Sunday, January 28, 2018 7:44 AM
  • Feb 2, 2018 My AMD 64 X2 4200 still wants to load the 1709 update and again you end up with the windows screen and no boot. So much for the AMD processors being blocked from the updates.
    Friday, February 2, 2018 3:52 PM
  • I have this exact same problem. Was prompted last night to update, the update took quite some time so I just left it overnight. Upon restarting I was having problems with the touchscreen going crazy and not allowing me to click anything, also the WiFi didn’t work. Tried to go into safe mode to turn off the touch screen settings, now I am stuck in automatic repair. After multiple restarts and and trying to use all options in automatic repair, nothing has worked. This for an intel processor. I’m unable to even enter safe mode.Please help. Thanks

It's best to delete the file WpnUserService.dll, the system starts without a problem but will not be notified.
    the file can be restored
    Sunday, February 4, 2018 7:32 AM
  • I have the same problem, but I have a core i7 920. I had to do system restore twice. It would boot to login screen and then go into sleep (blinking power led, fans spin down) and never wake from sleep. I just disabled the windows update service. FU Microsoft’s!
    Saturday, February 10, 2018 4:03 PM
  • Intel update dated February 7, 2018:

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/security-issue-update-progress-continues-firmware-updates/

Make sure BIOS firmware is up to date.

Sunday, February 11, 2018 12:41 AM
  • Disabling WiFi really helps and last Windows update is guilty of the issue!

My solution (Windows 10 Pro):

1. Turn off WiFi (by switch, but could be by BIOS, keys(FN+...), etc.)

2. Safe-mode with Command Prompt

3. Command: control

4. (mmc devmgmt.msc) Device Manager -> Network adapters : Disable all!

5. (services.msc) Services -> Windows update : Disabled

6. (appwiz.cpl) Programs and Features -> Installed updates : Uninstalling all from last days (don't confirm restart now!)

&. If were any changes in the OS (by you or any app) roll back them! (e.g. a new app installed, changes in devices, etc.)

RESTART

And my PC reboots and system starts successfully now :D  No more blue-screens and issue!

ENJOY and GOOD LUCK!

• Proposed as answer by LP80PL Wednesday, February 14, 2018 1:34 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by LP80PL Wednesday, February 14, 2018 1:34 PM
    • Proposed as answer by LP80PL Wednesday, February 14, 2018 1:35 PM
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 1:30 PM
  • I had this problem yesterday (2/14/2018) uninstalled the update by restoring the system, didn't deactivate windows update so today I got the same problem, already restored the system again BUT I just finished installing the "FIX update" that Microsoft released.

PC restarted normally after that but I'm not sure if i should disable windows update, i'm not familiarized with how windows update works but what if they automatically install the same faulty update again D:

Thursday, February 15, 2018 7:28 PM
  • I also have same problem on my desktop pc Envy with Intel
    Friday, February 16, 2018 2:16 AM
  • HOw do you start in safe mode if you have the dots spinning in circle - i cannot get past that?
    Monday, February 26, 2018 12:12 PM
  • mooreamy99,

There are 2 Windows advanced recovery menus.

If you cannot get to the menu that is on the computer you will need to open the menu that is on a windows 10 iso:

Use repair your computer.

The windows 10 iso does not have safe mode but it does have:  system restore, startup repair, repair image, command prompt etc.

Monday, February 26, 2018 2:18 PM
  • Tried this. Did not work.

Monday, February 26, 2018 5:41 PM
  • chayilgirl,

Please start a new thread for troubleshooting.

Indicate the problem you are having and the troubleshooting steps that were made.

If you cannot use a bootable windows 10 iso you may need to modify BIOS settings.

Monday, February 26, 2018 10:04 PM
  • I had this exact issue with my Core i7 Envy.  I'm disappointed that these known issues can't be recalled or overwritten, like with other programs out there. I had switched my laptop to metered internet mode in December because of the constant updates I was getting, but had a forced update last month and a scheduled one this month. Ultimately, none of the troubleshooting steps worked, even going to Safe Mode to uninstall the file.  I had to overwrite my hard drive to factory mode, with limiting imaging.  Yes, I still have my files and most things are backed up, but I've wasted 2 days of time, a full day of IT Work, and now have to re-install all the programs and customizations I use. 

Windows 10, you are giving me a very persuasive argument to switch to MAC!

Sorry to vent, Freddy44Erik. Thank you for the advice. You got me into the right cycle and to the reboot mode.  Thanks for the information on how to avoid the file reloading. I did successfully disable the update push. It appears that's an ongoing issue.  You mention that's a temporary fix, do you know how long it will stay disabled or is it until I reselect updates?
    • Edited by ITMom_YWM Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:12 AM
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:09 AM
  • Each computer environment is different.

There are some things in common.

If these fail: system restore, startup repair, dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

there are other troubleshooting steps:

Please use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures and post images into the thread.

Use one drive or drop share links.

1) open the iso windows advanced troubleshooting menu > Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources>

2) type:  chkdsk /r

(this may take time to complete and may display estimated time)

3) type:  bcdedit | find "osdevice"

4) type:  sfc /scannow /offbootdir=G:\ /offwindir=G:\windows  (Change each drive letter G to the partition displayed in the prior command.)

5) type:  bootrec /fixmbr

6) type:  bootrec /fixboot

7) type:  bootrec /scanos

8) type:  bootrec /rebuildbcd

9) type: exit

10 reboot

11) report results into the thread.

People, be careful with these instructions, after  bootrec /rebuildbcd my computer doesnt even start, acts like it cant even reach the bios or the boot menu

Saturday, March 3, 2018 9:17 PM
  • ASadUser,

The post that you made displayed:  "Each computer environment is different"

How come you ran commands knowing that your computer environment was different?

If you ran a another command would the result be better, worse, or the same?

If the computer's drive were brand new or had bad sectors would the result be the same or different?

Why not open a new thread for your computer?

Sunday, March 4, 2018 8:04 AM
  • This is the latest Microsoft news/update:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090913/march5-2018kb4090913osbuild16299-251

March 5, 2018—KB4090913 (OS Build 16299.251)
    Applies to: Windows 10 version 1709
    Improvements and fixes
    This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Significant changes include the following:

Addresses issue where some USB devices and onboard devices, such as a built-in laptop camera, keyboard, or mouse, stop working. This may occur when the Windows Update servicing stack incorrectly skips installing the newer version of some critical drivers in the cumulative update and uninstalls the currently active drivers during maintenance.
    Addresses issue where some devices may fail to boot with "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".

If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes that are contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 2:05 AM
  • This may or may not be helpful. I spent a lot of time with Windows 10 not booting after a major update. I spent 3 weeks and lost a lot of data in the process so ill break it down. I was running Windows 10 Pro 64 and to reload windows like 15 time before I got sick of it. I was about to go back to windows 7 when I said I will try downgrading to windows 10 home 64. To my surprise it worked. All updates installed and no more issues. I read numerous articles on trying to fix it but no luck. My opinion is bad updates. So before wasting time and money swapping out parts ( like a lot of people did ) try downgrading to windows 10 Home. It worked for me.
    Saturday, March 10, 2018 4:07 AM
  • I was suffer by the same problem behavior.  I was suspecting about network drivers because the computer only was booting in security mode without network support.

Now everything is working fine only with  the LAN Network Interface Card enabled.

I will do the fix in the WLAN NIC.

The Microsoft support was recomending to me to re-intall the Windows 10, but they didn´t confess the problem in the Windows Update.

Thank you very much.

Claudio

Thursday, March 15, 2018 11:28 AM
  • This may or may not be of help but I have had the same issue with the boot device suddenly being dropped on a number of PCs I look after.  It does seem that the issue coincides with windows updates and in particular driver updates.  In the past I have spent hours and hours trying to resolve some of these machines that this has happened trying all the solutions with boot and start-up repair tools to only end up doing a full re-install.

However, today the same problem had arisen on another system and suspecting this is a hard drive controller driver type update issue I decided to check the motherboard manufacturer's website for BIOS updates and there were updates released only this month, further more, there was a complete set of driver updates released specific to the windows 10 1709 version.  I only did the BIOS updates for my issue, and low and behold everything came back up fine - first boot continued its final stage of the update which caused the boot failure and then later in windows update, further driver updates were applied.  A reboot worked fine.

So it is worth checking and updating your BIOS before spending time boot wrecking everything ;).

hope it helps!

Thursday, March 15, 2018 12:51 PM
  • I had this same problem this morning with my desktop PC, Excepts for me I could still attempt to Sign In to boot Windows but  after the "Enter your PIN" screen (to log in to the PC) it kept hanging at the "Loading Personalized Settings" UI with just a black screen behind and the UI blank. After about four restarts my solution was to:

1. Force restart.

2. Sign in with my PIN and wait for the "Loading Personalized Setting" UI;

3. Once the boot hung CTRL-Alt Delete and chose to sign-out;

4. After signing out it gave me the option to Update & Restart or Update & Shutdown.

5. Once it Updated properly it did hang for about 2 minutes on the same UI but eventually did boot into Windows.

Hopefully helps someone. =D

• Edited by codeblue00 Thursday, March 15, 2018 4:44 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 4:42 PM
  • Hallo.
    How can I install the new update KB4073290? I only have the command prompt and Linux Live available! Windows and safe mode do not start thanks to KB4056892.
    Can someone tell me that I get the faulty update uninstalled or install the other update?
    Monday, March 19, 2018 1:50 PM
  • It seems that if I go down in the lower right corner and click ease of access and turn off filters then it start. Hopefully they'll fix it soon so I don't have to keep doing that every time I boot
    Saturday, March 24, 2018 2:14 AM
  • It seems that if I go down in the lower right corner and click ease of access and turn off filters then it start. Hopefully they'll fix it soon so I don't have to keep doing that every time I boot.
    Saturday, March 24, 2018 2:15 AM
  • Maybe you can use Startup Repair method which will probably solve your <g class="gr_ gr_158 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Style multiReplace" data-gr-id="158" id="158">problem ,</g> if not then use <g class="gr_ gr_157 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="157" id="157">command</g> prompt, you can use this site's article to solve the issue https://youprogrammer.com/windows-10-wont-boot/

actually, it worked for me when <g class="gr_ gr_363 gr-alert gr_tiny gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="363" id="363">i</g> tried the Startup repair option.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 4:31 AM
  • The large 2 hour (!!!!!) update completely screwed up my laptop to the point where it wouldn't boot and lockedup immediately on starting.

I also couldn't log into any local WiFi hotspots to seek help.

I ended up taking it to a local shop which, after multiple submissions, charged me a total of $300 to get it running again.

Microsoft should refund me the money to get the computer fixed + aggravation time-interest or buy me a new laptop since their update screwed up my computer although I don't expect them to be that responsive to customers complaints.

Thursday, April 12, 2018 3:54 PM
  • I might add they had to a complete wipe of the hard-drive and a complete reload of the whole system; I lost personal files because of this!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Proposed as answer by 2001redmiata Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:19 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by 2001redmiata Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:20 AM
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 3:57 PM
  • I have no idea how to fix my laptop BUT I do share everyones frustration.  My HP laptop is doing pretty much the same thing, it doesnt boot and minutes after there is a window that says:  windowss could not complete installation.  To install windows on this computer, reinstall the installation.   Yes will take to someone to know what they didn't!!!!
    Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:26 AM

Hope this helps you too.

Thank you for sharing the solution.
    I have noticed that this bug happened after I installed the update: Intel - net - 10/1/2017 12:00:00 AM - 18.33.9.3 (http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=89a07b52-4b94-4629-a8e9-61de46f235c4)  through Windows Update.

So, I tried a fresh Windows install (Yes, I lost my files) and ran the "Show/Hide updates" as described on this article (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window) and hid this update. Unfortunately the driver has been installed as soon as I rebooted my laptop and was unable to try anything.Now I'm desperate because I cannot find any option on recovery menu which let me boot into safe mode (the advanced menu does not show anything related to that).

By the way it is goes, I will end up making a fresh install for the 5th time.

This solved my issue!!  Thanks so much!
    Saturday, April 21, 2018 2:00 AM
  • I faced the same issue today [12-May-2018] after Windows restarted during update. It just stuck at rotating dots, there was some hard disk activity for initial 1-2 minutes and after that it went out.. and rotating dots continued.. i waited for 30 minutes or so... in trying to find a fix, I updated my PC BIOS, went to safe mode [there also it got stuck], opened PC and removed old firewire card, disabled peripherals in BIOS, disconnected all cables etc. etc.

Finally I tried to boot from a Windows USB install disk and when I pressed the boot selection key during BIOS boot, I saw that my primary SSD disk had somehow gone down in the list and old hard disk appeared at the top. I had moved my OS to SSD sometime back and my PC was configured to boot from SSD.

I chose the SSD in boot options and bingo! the Windows update screen appeared again from where it had restarted!

So the problem was somehow Windows update made some changes in boot sector that confused BIOS and it was not booting from the primary boot disk!

Please check if this is the problem, make sure you are booting from the right disk, you may need to go to BIOS and again select the right disk as the #1 priority disk to boot.

Kind Regards, Uttam

Technical Artist

Saturday, May 12, 2018 6:27 PM
  • I have the same problem! I see this problem has been ongoing since January and what a nightmare!! I am in the process of purchasing a home and all of my financial documents are on my laptop that I need for the loan company… I have a Toshiba Satellite A665. I contacted Microsoft two days ago. I was told to try to use a system restore but my computer says there are no previous restore points right now so the technician formatted a flash drive for me on a separate laptop, but it took so long to format I was told to call back when the flash drive was formatted. I called yesterday to try to have the repair completed using the flash drive and to create A bootable Windows 10 iso, but I was told this could cause me to lose all of my applications and possibly data files!! I was also told that Microsoft would not be responsible if that happened, but that was my choice to let him try to repair my pc, Or I could choose to wait for Microsoft to find a fix for this bug. This just cannot be acceptable!!! If this problem has been going on since January then Microsoft should have a fix for it by now. I have my computer open with the blue screen directing me to choose a keyboard layout. I chose my keyboard layout and then it goes to another screen to choose an option… *Continue *Use another operating system *Troubleshoot *Turn off your PC. So I chose troubleshoot with advanced options and on that screen it gives me the Following choices... *System restore *Go back to previous version *System image recovery *Start up repair *Command prompt, so I chose start up repair. The start up repair screen now says... *Windows rollback *Windows 10 on volume 2 *Windows 10 on volume 2 ( this is listed twice) Can anybody direct me on what to choose so I don’t lose all of my applications and data files??? Can someone please help me??
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 2:35 PM
  • @DCorrell7335   Same thing just happened to my wife's computer.  Trying to figure out how to fix it so she doesn't lose all her writings.
    • Edited by djhoward Monday, June 25, 2018 2:25 PM
    Monday, June 25, 2018 2:23 PM
  • How do you install the hotfix, when my windows logins it’s praxtically all black? Man this has been so frustrating been trying everything to fix it. A screen comes up saying desktopnis unavailable
    Tuesday, July 3, 2018 8:44 PM
  • So that same thing happened to me, and I finally said screw it after Microsoft was absolutely zero help and I installed Antergos Linux from a USB I downloaded. Works great! No more annoying cortanna, those bloat ware games and no updates.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2018 4:58 AM
  • So I followed these and my other Windows partition failed to boot: Please advise how can i undo: 1. dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions 2. sfc /scannow /offbootdir=G:\ /offwindir=G:\windows Thanks!
    Sunday, September 16, 2018 2:09 PM
  • I'm so pissed, this is the second time MS Updates had screwed my setup this year alone. Why aren't MS Updates selectable at will? They force these stuff on consumers when all it does is breaks their PC/Laptops. Considering this is a legit MS KB update, I expected A WHOLE LOT MORE. I thought Incompatibility software issues after updates was annoying but bad Kb updates that a butt load of people will no doubt click on which just breaks things is next level idiotic. If I knew this was an issue that still exist to this day then I would have just resorted on the pirated versions instead... *tsk tsk*MS Update Team needs to get their shit together asap! Hell, MS needs to fire that entire department and replace em with competent folks. I've tried most suggestions from kind folks here but mine just refuses to boot and simply indicating to me when in boot sequence that 'something went wrong' *Duh! It does that about x3 times and then boots to recovery mode which I then am able to finally select 'troubleshoot' From there I've also tried restoring my backup that I've previously had done (thankfully) but even that gives me errors. I'm starting to lose hope and will probably resort to my last choice which is to do a clean install as per usual *sigh* This is just unacceptable. My PC was working just fine before MS Update broke the shit out of it! I'm VERY upset right now and I want to tear someone's head off due to this BS.
    Monday, September 17, 2018 10:04 AM