none
EPM 2010 - Formula for displaying Go / No Go on a task according to its predecessor RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everybody,

I'm looking for a formula to display an indicator as Green or Red for a task if its predecessor is completed or not.

We need that the assigned resource does not start his task if the predecessor is not completed, eventhough the start date occured. The teams are not working on the same site.

I found how to display information about the current task, but I'm not able to find out how to get information about the predecessor.

Many thanks in advance

Anne

Monday, November 19, 2012 11:39 AM

Answers

• Hello Anne,

Allow me to first explain how I do this and recommed to do it.

When the predecessor is not finished today, it should be updated in such a way that its finish date is rescheduled - and the sucessor's start is later as well. When working that way, you can start all the tasks whose start date is before tomorrow, no need for a further indicator. And if you do want one, the formula is about the start date.

So I understand you do not track progress on your tasks, and you leave the planned dates as they are without reference to reality? OK, but then indeed you need a reference to the predecessor which is not possible in a formula.

Another curious wording in your post is when you say "the predecessor". In project plans I make for customers, nearly always some tasks have more than one predecessor. You never have the case?

Here follows some VBA code that will check all the predecessors of all tasks an put Flag1 to true when all predecessors are 100% complete - or when there are no predecessors, and the currently planned start date is today or earlier:

Sub Predecessors_ready

dim Job as task

dim pred as task

for each job in activeproject.tasks

if not job is nothing then

job.flag1=true

for each pred in job.predecessortasks

job.flag1=job.flag1 and (pred.percentcomplete=100)

next pred

end if

next job

end sub

On masamiki.com you can find how to implement this code.

Hope this helps,

Monday, November 19, 2012 12:35 PM

All replies

• Hello Anne,

Allow me to first explain how I do this and recommed to do it.

When the predecessor is not finished today, it should be updated in such a way that its finish date is rescheduled - and the sucessor's start is later as well. When working that way, you can start all the tasks whose start date is before tomorrow, no need for a further indicator. And if you do want one, the formula is about the start date.

So I understand you do not track progress on your tasks, and you leave the planned dates as they are without reference to reality? OK, but then indeed you need a reference to the predecessor which is not possible in a formula.

Another curious wording in your post is when you say "the predecessor". In project plans I make for customers, nearly always some tasks have more than one predecessor. You never have the case?

Here follows some VBA code that will check all the predecessors of all tasks an put Flag1 to true when all predecessors are 100% complete - or when there are no predecessors, and the currently planned start date is today or earlier:

Sub Predecessors_ready

dim Job as task

dim pred as task

for each job in activeproject.tasks

if not job is nothing then

job.flag1=true

for each pred in job.predecessortasks

job.flag1=job.flag1 and (pred.percentcomplete=100)

next pred

end if

next job

end sub

On masamiki.com you can find how to implement this code.

Hope this helps,

Monday, November 19, 2012 12:35 PM
  • Hello Jan,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

About the predecessor of the task, most of them are single. Those projects are almost single workflow and EPM is used to get all tasks for a resource.

My customer wanted a "To Do List" for his staff with a warning on the line if the predecessor task isn't finished.

As the leadtime was very very short, we proposed that the user click on his asigned task and read all the information about previous and next task before he starts the task. For the time being, they agree.

Thanks again

Anne

Anne Renaud Project Manager PMP Vision 2 Action SA Switzerland

Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:25 PM