question about deploying sccm 2012 client with SUP RRS feed

• Question

• I was researching this method of client deployment and want to know how to:

1. determine how to avoid deploying to domain controllers (an option with the manual deployment option from the console), and

2. how to avoid installing it on servers at the present time (won't go into the details on this just need to know how to prevent installation on certain machines, in this case servers), and finally

3. how to do a silent installation.

I know how to do silent deployments with software packages and software updates, but since installing the client via SUP is new to me, I need some help.  Do I put it into a package and point to it or what?  The research I have done indicates to turn it on in the site settings, make sure a GPO pointing to the sup is out there (which it is already by viruture of leveraging wsus in sccm environment in the first place). I just need to fill in the gaps here.  Even the step by step documentation I have found fails to address the questions I have posted above.  Thanks.

• Moved by John Marcum Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:58 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 10:38 PM

All replies

• You have the TechNet docs here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712298.aspx In order not to install the client on servers and domain controllers, make sure the GPO is not Applied to those computers. The WSUS installation process is a silent process.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:21 AM
  • Thanks.  I had forgotten about that fact that the GPO wouldn't be pointing to the server OU so that will eliminate that issue.  I did read the technet document but it still didn't address my questions, at least not for sup based client installation.  In some research I was doing the other day there were screenshots that showed the installation process was NOT silent.  It showed it was acting like a software update that wasn't designated as a silent installation, so I'm not sure how it is going to be silent, unless it is silent by default, but if that is the case, then there is some misinformation somewhere.  I was going to paste the link but of course now I can't locate it.
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:22 PM
  • one other question:  say a brand new machine comes onto the domain, gets the policy applied to point it to the wsus server to install the client, then it runs the policy to check for updates and it sees three packages of updates (one for each of the last three months), does it download them one at a time, install, reboot as needed, then go out and get the next one and do the same thing two more times, or does it download all three packages worth of patches sequentially, install them all and then reboot?
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 6:10 PM