How to repair Windows Update in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Recently I had to do a complete system recovery, and now Windows Update will not work so I can reinstall SP3 and McAfee because it needs SP3 to install it. Every time I try Windows Update I get the same error message:0x8024400A, and when I try to use Fix-it, it won't work because SP3 is not installed. Can someone please tell me how to repair Windows Update so I can get this straightened out? Thanks. 

Paul M. Miller

Saturday, July 14, 2012 4:02 PM

All replies

• As for installing Windows XP Service Pack 3, download it from Microsoft Download Center and install it.

(it's the same as installing Service Pack 3 from Windows Update).

To fix Windows Update, follow the steps mentioned by "Shenan Stanley" at Microsoft Answers -

"Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here (x86):
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237

and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Close all Internet Explorer windows and other applications.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
    %SystemDrive%\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /WUFORCE
    --> Click OK.

(If asked, select "Run".) --> Click on NEXT --> Select "I agree" and click on NEXT --> When it finishes installing, click on "Finish"... "

• Edited by Swapnil99pro Sunday, July 15, 2012 4:45 AM Fixed a link
    Sunday, July 15, 2012 4:43 AM
  • You could try resetting IE....open IE, click tools, click internet options, click on the advanced tab, then click both the restore advanced settings and reset button.  Hope that helps.

Freeman

Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:46 PM