none
DPM 2012 R2 - copy Tape to Tape RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have dpm2012 r2 with tape library.

I need to clone few tapes to anther tapes (all content)

I know there is command "copy-dpmtapedata"

I read in Technet about this command, but there is not an example how to use this command.

and I tried to fine powershell script, I failed to fined.

need help with this issue,

thanks

Sunday, March 27, 2016 7:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you only need to copy/clone a few tapes you can use the DPM-console: 

1. In DPM Administrator Console, go to the Recovery view.

2. Select the data that you want to copy to tape, and then click Recover. The Recovery Wizard opens.

3. On the Review Recovery Selection page, you can confirm which tape or tapes the data is on. Click Next to continue.

4. On the Specify Recovery Type page, select the copy to tape option, and then click Next.

5. On the Specify Library page, in Primary library, select a library to use for recovery:
    5a. When the data is being copied from tape and the tape library has multiple tape drives, the library you select in Primary library reads from the source tape and copies the data to another tape.

5b. When the data is being copied from tape and the tape library has only a single tape drive, the library you select in Primary library reads from the source tape and the library you select in Copy library copies the data to tape.

6. On the Summary page, review the settings and then click Recover.

Copy a tape to tape or disk

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 6:39 AM
  • Negative.  I also was searching for an answer here.  I am aware that I can use the Admin Console to do this.  

Problem: I have 240 Virtual Tapes, and I need to copy to physical tape for off-site storage.  I have been working with: 

Copy-DPMTapeData [-RecoveryPoint] <RecoverySource> -SourceLibrary <Library> -TargetLibrary <Library> -TapeLabel <String> -TapeOption <TapeOptions> [-

RecoveryPointLocation <RecoverySourceLocation>] [-JobStateChangedEventHandler <JobStateChangedEventHandler>] [-Verbose] [-Debug] [-ErrorAction 

<ActionPreference>] [-ErrorVariable <String>] [-OutVariable <String>] [-OutBuffer <Int32>]

But I am having issues with the syntax, and I can't find any "real world" examples to work with.

Furthermore, when I do use the Admin Console and I try to walk through these steps, I have to deal with "The Copy library is only enabled when the primary library has a single drive" - so I have to write a script to disable all but one of my 80 Virtual Tape Drives so that I can accomplish this - which renders the remaining 79 VTDs unusable until the job is finished, which I think is completely retarded.

Most importantly, I need to "Recover" the contents of an entire Protection Group (example: ProtectionGroupA), and this Protection Group has Protected Members that span several different volumes - but DPM Admin Console only gives the option to browse to ONE MEMBER (one volume) that is Protected and "Recover" that one - and only one - member of the Protection Group to a tape for off site storage.

Even if all of these hurdles did not exist in the DPM Admin Console, I would still have to do all of this MANUALLY, step by step, every time.  I am working with multiple libraries that may change from month to month. 

DPM powershell forces me to work with arrays of Protection Groups / Data Sources - OK, fine.  I can do that - but I was led to believe by the writers of "Copy-DPMTapeData" that I could restore from ONE tape to ANOTHER tape - and in the context of this cmdlet, I should be able to do that?  I am starting to think that this is not possible.

Does anyone have a "real world" example of this cmdlet in action?

Thank you

Saturday, August 20, 2016 4:22 PM
  • I just want to repeat, so that perhaps it will be more clear:

I need to use PowerShell to copy a Tape from Tape Library A to a Tape in Tape Library B - that's what I need to do.

I do NOT want to use the DPM Admin Console to do this - I want to use the "Copy-DPMTapeData" cmdlet in PowerShell to do this.

Does anyone have a "real world" example of this cmdlet in action?

Any help in this regard very greatly appreciated.

unclpaul

Saturday, August 20, 2016 4:34 PM
  • Hi, I'm also experimenting with the command "Copy-DPMTapeData". I want to write from my DPM server 2012R2 over all storage groups a tape which always contains the latest backups. A Powershellscript I have already so far. However, the DPM always takes a new band. Do you know a solution to always write on the same tape?

Here is the script:

clear-host
    #Import Modules
    Import-Module dataprotectionmanager

#Variables
    $DPMServer="$env:COMPUTERNAME"

$Library=@(Get-DPMLibrary -DPMServerName $DPMServer)

$DSList=Get-ProtectionGroup -DPMServerName $DPMServer | Get-Datasource
    $DSList

foreach ($DS in $DSList) 
    {
        $RP=$DS | Get-RecoveryPoint | where {$_.Location -eq "Media"} | Sort-Object -Property Backuptime -Descending | select -First 1
        Copy-DPMTapeData -RecoveryPoint $rp -SourceLibrary $library[0] -TapeLabel "Bank" -TapeOption Compress -TargetLibrary $library[1]
        #$rp
    }

Thursday, October 6, 2016 11:08 AM
  • Hi,

in the DPM GUI you have "Tape optimization Setup" try to find the power shell commad that doing the same operation, this will solv your problem.

Sunday, October 9, 2016 4:53 AM
  • Hi ALL,

I Have one question the data set copy jobs .

Is it possible to recover the data from copy jobs ,if yes how if can be done ,can you please suggest me because recently i performed copy to tape job as per my client request that is need archive for 60 months .

I just want to check to how the recovery works form the copied tapes .

Your comments please on this .

Thanks in advancejagadeesh

Thursday, February 15, 2018 6:51 PM