none
System Image disks installed on new hard drive show new hard drive same size as old one

Question

• I recently used my system image disk to restore on a new (larger) hard drive but now when I look at the hard drive from the computer view it shows my hard drive as being the same size as the old one instead of being the size of the new one. I'm not sure I'm making much sense so I will post a picture...

Is there anyway to fix this? Does the drive really only have 286 gigs on it?

Monday, October 3, 2011 7:50 PM

Answers

• You have to be logged in as Admin to perform these operations.

Go to Start, and in the Search box, type in DISK MANAGEMENT. Pick the Control Panel item "Create and format disk partitions." Once Disk Management comes up, right-click on the area of your disk and select "Extend volume..." Move it out as far as you want, making the whole thing one drive.

If that doesn't work for you, then you can download Easeus Partition Manager Home http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm  and create a boot CD from it that will accomplish the same thing (and more, if you want to read up on it). It's a free program and works with 32- and 64-bit Windows. I like it and use it myself.

SC Tom

• Marked as answer by KatyJane47 Monday, October 3, 2011 9:03 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2011 8:39 PM

All replies

• You have to be logged in as Admin to perform these operations.

Go to Start, and in the Search box, type in DISK MANAGEMENT. Pick the Control Panel item "Create and format disk partitions." Once Disk Management comes up, right-click on the area of your disk and select "Extend volume..." Move it out as far as you want, making the whole thing one drive.

If that doesn't work for you, then you can download Easeus Partition Manager Home http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm  and create a boot CD from it that will accomplish the same thing (and more, if you want to read up on it). It's a free program and works with 32- and 64-bit Windows. I like it and use it myself.

SC Tom

• Marked as answer by KatyJane47 Monday, October 3, 2011 9:03 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Thank you very much. I figured there was a simple solution but I didn't know where to start. :D
    Monday, October 3, 2011 9:04 PM

• You're very welcome. Hope it went well for you :-)

SC Tom

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 12:50 AM
  • Hi Tom,

My situation is similar. I bought a two TB hard drive to increase my space.

I image the 1TB hard drive and then replaced it with the 2TB.

After restoring the information into the new 2tb hard drive, it was showing the 1TB volume.

I went through you sequence above and tried to extend the size but that area is shaded out. Eventually I saw that 930 was unallocated and formatted it and it assigned the letter D to this space.

Is there anyway to make this one 2TB drive?

P.s. I'm using Windows 10.

TEX

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 8:03 PM