boot loader RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I have to install a XP windows on an exclusive partition (because MS fixed the non-broked ASIO drivers and I work with audio) but to do this I must disconnect the W7 driver because the PC don't boot on any OS.

When I finished install the XP I connected the W7 disk and I can access it, but I can't lod it because the loader is broken or something like this.

Anyway, I reinstalled W7 and I can acces the both OS but suddenly the loader gives me an error and I can't acces to the disk. I had to reinstall W7 to fix the loader and now I can access W7 and XP, but I'm scared. I'm afraid to swith the PC off.

Is there a way to backup the loader or make a boot disk?

Thanks
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 5:50 PM

Answers

• OK, as nobody answer you, I will :D

I find that the rescue disk (and the instaler disk) can be used to do this. However, this is not an intuitive wa.

You (me :D) have to open the DOS-like window and write: bootsect /nt60 c:
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, February 12, 2010 2:55 AM
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 7:51 PM
  • Hi DrGerry,

You can back up the boot loader and restore it by the steps below:

Export the Boot Configuration Database (BCD) store

========

1. Please click the Start Button, type in "CMD", right-click on the displayed item in the search pane and click "Run as administrator".

Note: The operation requires administrative privileges. Please click "Continue" or "Allow" when the User Account Control dialog-box appears.

2. Type in the following command to export the BCD store to a file on the root directory of the C drive.

BCDEDIT /EXPORT C:\BCDStore.bak

3. Please copy the file to a removable disk as a backup.

Import the Boot Configuration Database (BCD) store

========

1. Click "Start", type in "CMD", right-click on the displayed item in the search pane and click "Run as administrator".

Note: The operation requires administrative privileges. Please click "Continue" or "Allow" when the User Account Control dialog-box appears.

2. Type in the following command to export the BCD store to a file on the root directory of the C drive.

BCDEDIT /IMPORT C:\BCDStore.bak

Note: Please replace the file name and path with the actual name and path of the file on your computer

3. Please reboot the computer and check if the BCD store has been recovered.

For more information about Bcdedit, please refer to this TechNet article: Bcdedit

Also,  you can use third party software such as EasyBCD to do the achieve this as well. For more information, please refer to this article: How To Backup/Restore Windows 7 Bootloader

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:48 AM

All replies

• OK, as nobody answer you, I will :D

I find that the rescue disk (and the instaler disk) can be used to do this. However, this is not an intuitive wa.

You (me :D) have to open the DOS-like window and write: bootsect /nt60 c:
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 7:51 PM
  • Hi DrGerry,

You can back up the boot loader and restore it by the steps below:

Export the Boot Configuration Database (BCD) store

========

1. Please click the Start Button, type in "CMD", right-click on the displayed item in the search pane and click "Run as administrator".

BCDEDIT /EXPORT C:\BCDStore.bak

3. Please copy the file to a removable disk as a backup.

Import the Boot Configuration Database (BCD) store

========

1. Click "Start", type in "CMD", right-click on the displayed item in the search pane and click "Run as administrator".

BCDEDIT /IMPORT C:\BCDStore.bak

Note: Please replace the file name and path with the actual name and path of the file on your computer

3. Please reboot the computer and check if the BCD store has been recovered.

For more information about Bcdedit, please refer to this TechNet article: Bcdedit

Also,  you can use third party software such as EasyBCD to do the achieve this as well. For more information, please refer to this article: How To Backup/Restore Windows 7 Bootloader

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:48 AM
  • Thanks, Linda. I tried but I can't. It said (I'm traslating because my Windows is in Spanish): "Storage exportation operation error. Denied access"

No control dialog boxes.

How can I use administrator privileges on a cmd window?

I used EasyBCD anyway.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:36 PM