The on-screen keyboard of Windows 7 and use of a kiosk mode application doesn't work fine RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Our company bought 40 tablets with Windows 7 Pro on it. Our users are going to work with only one application on those Tablets, the application is called 4PS Mobile. We also bought software called Soti MobiControl (version 9.02). With MobiControl we can deploy scheduled updates of 4PS Mobile online.
    Soti MobiControl has also an option to run Windows 7 in a kiosk mode.
    The kiosk mode is active by changing this registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell
    Value = explorer.exe = kiosk mode Off
    Value = C:\Program Files\Soti\MobiControl\WinMCKiosk.exe = kiosk mode On.

When the kiosk mode is on, there is a html page displayed with only a button to start the application 4PS Mobile. Nothing more, just to keep it simple for the users.

The users also use the built-in “On screen keyboard” function of Windows 7. (C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink\TabTip.exe)
    Normally the user can bring the “on screen keyboard” function in front of the screen when they tab on the left side of the screen.

Only if we run Soti MobiControl with the kiosk mode on  there is a problem:
    The small picture/icon of the “on screen keyboard” on the left side of the screen is placed on the background. The html page of the kiosk mode is in front of it.
    When the user needs to fill an input field there is no problem to bring the on screen keyboard to the front. (A small icon is placed above the input field to bring up the on screen keyboard)
    But when the user needs to delete a line within 4PS Mobile, he can’t bring up the on screen keyboard.

Is it possible to have the small picture/icon of the “on screen keyboard” on the left side of the screen always on the front? (So it’s placed over any other application)
    Maybe with a registry edit?

I have also made a support request by Soti and 4PS as well. Maybe it is possible for them to create a work-a-round in their software. But it may take months for it would be active in a newer version of their software.

I’ll hope you understand my problem. It’s hard for me to explain this problem in English.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems to be related to Soti and 4PS program.  You’d better contact the application manufacture for further assistance.

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, May 7, 2012 9:07 AM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems to be related to Soti and 4PS program.  You’d better contact the application manufacture for further assistance.

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, May 7, 2012 9:07 AM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:18 AM
  • Thanks for your answer.

I have made a change request by Soti. Hope that they can fix it.

Monday, May 7, 2012 6:45 AM