none
Recurring low priority tasks where time cannot be scheduled in advance RRS feed

• Question

• I am using project to help me plan and monitor my productivity levels.

My aim is to be able to analyse my times. The times of high energy which achieve the more important goals as against the my times of  low energy which some times I waste and would like to allocate mundane tasks.

I have created a project plan which enlists all my tasks. There are some activities that occur several times in the day. Like collecting eMails. 

I want to set up a task called eMails and actually execute it first thing in the morning and hen only after I have executed the more important tasks of the day. 

This will allow me to control and monitor the time spent getting carried away with eMails which look important.

So I want to split one task (eMail Collection which is one row in the project) to occur twice in a day. First thing in the morning and then only after my other important tasks for the day are completed. How do I setup the dependence?

Shai Bedarkar.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 11:36 PM

Answers

• Hello Shai,

While you can split a single task you cannot set dependencies on just half of the task.  You need to create two tasks - early morning email, linked F to S with your more important tasks , and then the remainder email task linked F to S with the important task.

My personal recommendation is to set a reminder in something like Outlook or on your phone - to focus you away from emails.  They can certainly consume a huge amount of time.

• Marked as answer by Shai Bedarkar Sunday, July 6, 2014 11:50 PM
    Thursday, July 3, 2014 9:14 PM

All replies

• Hello Shai,

While you can split a single task you cannot set dependencies on just half of the task.  You need to create two tasks - early morning email, linked F to S with your more important tasks , and then the remainder email task linked F to S with the important task.

My personal recommendation is to set a reminder in something like Outlook or on your phone - to focus you away from emails.  They can certainly consume a huge amount of time.

• Marked as answer by Shai Bedarkar Sunday, July 6, 2014 11:50 PM
    Thursday, July 3, 2014 9:14 PM
  • Thanks for the effort Julie.

I was hoping that there was a way to re-use a single line in the project tasks to indicate the various times that the actual work happened. This way I could analyse the time spent on the task without having to create a new line for each time I execute the task....I hope that makes sense.

I think I am trying to see if I can use MS-Project as a recording tool for the actual time spent and not just a planning tools. It appears this is not possible.

Shai Bedarkar

Sunday, July 6, 2014 11:53 PM
  • You most certainly can use Project to record actual work times.  Add the Actual Work field to any table view or to record actual work on an hourly, daily, or weekly basis - add Actual Work to the timescaled (right had side) of the Task Usage or Resource Usage view.

As a suggestion - just schedule the work as needed and then record the actuals.  It will split the task as needed.

Monday, July 7, 2014 2:04 PM