none
Problem with "Other projects and commitments" in Resource Usage view RRS feed

• Question

• I'm with a problem on "Other projects and commitments" in Resource Usage view, and, I'm thinking that this may be a "bug" in Project Professional 2007.
    My production enviroment is: Project Server 2007 + Project Professional 2007.
    Description of the problem:
    When I open a cronogram and, after that, I open the "Resource Usage view" all resources should to show the line "Other projects and commitments" (if they are allocated in another projects). This is working perfectly.
    The problem is when the user that open the cronogram doesn't have access to information of one (1) resource (because he belongs to another area/category), in this case, a message is displayed at the opening of the cronogram, saying that the user is not allowed to view information about the resource XXXX, after this, all resources bellow this user don't appear the line "Other projects and commitments".
    I was clear in the explanation? This seems a sequencial error. All resources below the resource whose user who opened the cronogram does not have permission, do not show the line "Other projects and commitments."
    If I give permission to the user that open the cronogram to have access to information about this one (1) resource (that belongs to another area/category), in this case, the a message is not displayed at the opening of the cronogram,  and all resources show the line "Other projects and commitments" (if they are allocated in another projects), working perfectly.
    There are some way to solve this without give the permission mentioned above?
    Thank you.

• Edited by A.Loren7 Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:52 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:51 PM

All replies

• A.Loren7

From your description, it sounds to me like you are using RBS to control which resources and projects your PMs can see.  If that is the case, then this is the cause of the warning messages your PMs are getting in regards to the �??Other projects and commitments�?� sections of this view.  If a PM does not have access to a project because of security permissions, but one of his/her resources is assigned to tasks in that project, then this situation would cause the warning message and the subsequent results.  There are two ways around this:
    • When the PM logs into Project Server from Project Professional 2007, he/she should DESELECT the �??Load summary resource assignments�?� checkbox in the Login dialog.  That option, when selected, is what causes the �??Other projects and commitments�?� sections to show in the Resource Usage view of any enterprise project he/she opens.
    • Create a special Category and Group that give your PMs Read-Only access to every other project in the Project Server database.  This way your PMs can see all other projects in Read-Only mode, but they cannot change any of those projects.
    Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:58 PM