none
DPM 2010- tape backup question RRS feed

• Question

• We use a SAS attached HP Storageworks 1/8 Tape Autoloader, it has 1 drive and 2 magazines that hold a total of 8 LTO4 tapes.

Aside from the regularly scheduled tape backups...    With DPM i do not see how to manually send a tape backup job to a particular tape.  If I want to send all the volumes in a particular Protection Group and append a tape that already has stuff on it, how do I do it? This was the kind of thing that was a piece of cake with Backup Exec, and it seems to be not available in DPM, certainly not intuitive or simple.

Thanks for your help,
    Jack

Monday, June 21, 2010 4:14 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hi Jack,

Please review the following links that explain in more detail how DPM uses tape libraries and how to better utilize the tapes in a library using tape co-location.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, June 21, 2010 4:37 PM
  • I've reviewed this material--  Perhaps you can help me with what I am trying to do.

I have 2 Protection Groups, one that performs daily backups and one that performs weekly backups. I have enabled co-location so that on biweekly Saturday nights both Prot. Grps can get backed up to one tape.

Today I need to do a manual backup of both Prot. Grps to one tape.  I selected all volumes in the Weekly Prot. Grp and created a recovery point to tape. That worked fine.  Then I removed all tapes from my library except that tape.  I then selected all the volumes in the Daily Prot. Grp. and tried to create a recovery point to tape, hoping that it would append that tape.  Thus far, it says "Job waiting for Tape" and is asking for a "free" tape and doesn't seem to want to append to the tape that's there, though there is space on it.

My question is- how can I accomplish this?  I would if I could select all volumes in both Prot. Grps and send to tape in one job, but DPM doesn't seem to support that for some reason.  There must be a way, as co-location allows this to happen with the regularly scheduled jobs.

Please let me know what I'm missing here..

thanks,
    Jack

Monday, June 21, 2010 7:28 PM
  • Hi Jack,

Can you give more details of exactly how each protectiongroup is configured for tape backups for both short and long term protection.  I have a feeling the restriction you are bumping into is both PGs need to have same backup type  (IE: Both "full", or both "Full and incrememtal").

Thanks. 

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, June 21, 2010 7:56 PM
  • We have 2 Protection Groups.

1. Disk and Tape Daily
    2. Disk and Tape Weekly

Both use the same protection methods and have the same retention range.
    All settings are identical for both PGs except for the one noted below.
    Here are all the settings:

Short term protection using Disk
    Retention Range: 30 days
    Synchronization frequecy: Every 15 minutes
    Recovery points for files: 12:00AM, 12:00PM Everyday
    Application recovery points: (Based on synchronization freq (every 15 minutes)
    Express Full Backup: 6:00AM Sun

Long term protection using Tape
    Retention Range: 1 month
    Frequency of backup: Customized...1 recovery point every 2 weeks for the last 4 weeks
    Number of backup copy: 1
    Run backup for all (ignore overlap of days)
    Backup schedule: Every 2 weeks, Sat 11pm
    Compress Data
    Run a consistancy check if a replica becomes inconsistent

Currently, the only exception between the 2 PG's is short term to disk for the Disk and Tape Weekly--
    Recovery points for files: 6am Everyday

thank you,  jack

Monday, June 21, 2010 8:27 PM
  • Hi Jack,

OK, I tried to duplicate your issue and unfortunatly I could not, I was able to get data sources from different PG's to use the same tape.  I actually configured three PG's to have LT tape backup every two weeks with retention period of 4 weeks, then I performed a manual ad-hock back up for a data source in each PG and they all used the same tape.  After completed, the "Protect group" column under the library tab showed all three PG names seperated by a ; semi-colon for that tape.

Did you wait for the backups for data sources in one PG to finish backing up before performing the backup for the next PG,  If not DPM will put the backups on different tapes.

Monday, June 21, 2010 10:18 PM
  • I did wait- the backup was finished for the first PG before I started the 2nd backup.. There were no Jobs in Progress.

If you could please tell me-- What exactly are your steps for performing a manual ad-hoc backup for separate PGs to the same tape?  Maybe I am doing something different?

What I did-
    Under Protection, I used the Ctrl-key and selected all the volumes in the the first PG and chose "create recovery point" and chose "Long term tape backup"
    When the backup was finished, I did exactly the same for the other PG.

I didn't see any other way to manually send a job to tape.

thanks,
    jack

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:03 PM
  • Hi Jack,

You did that correctly, and that is what I did, but I only had single data sources in my PG's, so I just right-clicked and selected created RP and chose tape.

Does one PG have encryption enabled and the other not ?  We can't co-located encrypted and non-encrypted data on the same tape. 

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:56 PM
  • And then when the first backup was done, you then selected and ran the 2nd job, and it worked?

As to your question:
    Neither PGs have Encrypt Data selected
    Both PGs have Compress Data selected

I just tried to rerun the Failed Backup job and it is again saying "Job waiting for tape" with this Description & Recommended Action:

Backup to Tape job is paused because the required tape Free Tape is not available in the library Tape Library Hewlett Packard 1x8 G2 autoloader  (x64 based). (ID 3315)

Insert the tape with label Free Tape in the library through the I/E port or by unlocking the library door. Click "Continue Job" in the Details section of this alert, if you add the required tape without using the Add tape (I/E port) or Unlock Door actions on the Library tab in the Management task area.

I did try to click "Continue Job" and it just says the "Job waiting for tape" again

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 5:49 PM
  • Any other suggestions?

I will take this opportunity to give some feedback on DPM
    I used Backup Exec for many years and switched to DPM this past year for its backup to disk capabilities, which are truly great.

But, in my opinion, its feature set for Backup to Tape is not nearly flexible enough.  With Backup Exec you could easily erase tapes, append tapes, overwrite tapes whenever you needed to, just by choosing the options you needed.  With DPM, you either can't do certain things, or have to jump through enough hoops to make it a miserable task. (i.e  this append situation I am dealing with, or if I just want to erase a tape that hasn't yet "expired"- sometimes I don't care if its "associated with a Protection Group", I just want to erase the damn thing!) 
    Also- restoring individual Exchange mailboxes is a royal pain and is drastically harder than the Brick-level restores with Backup Exec.

It needs to be easier/possible to manually override these things.

I do hope Microsoft will improve this product.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Hello Jack,

I truly do not know why the append is not working for you, it should given all the details you have provided.

Thanks for the feedback, I encourage you to fill out this official feedback survey that the product team is conducting.

Please take some time to complete the survey (Future Enhancements to DPM) and share your future needs with the DPM Product Team.

Survey Link: http://connect.microsoft.com/site840/Survey/Survey.aspx?SurveyID=11130

As far as wanting to erase a tape that still has valid recovery points on it, you can use this power shell script to accomplish that.

FROM WEB SITE: http://blogs.technet.com/dpm/archive/2007/09/04/cli-script-force-mark-tape-as-free.aspx

Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:31 PM
  • Thanks Mike I will fill out the survey and check out that script. I don't know why it's not working, but I wish I did.

Again, regarding that script..  why is it necessary to run a PowerShell script to erase a tape, even with recovery points on it?  A feature as rudimentary as erasing a tape can't be made part of the GUI?  Considering how long DPM has been around, why is development of this product so incomplete? Does Microsoft really need a survey to understand what backup to tape features are essential in a backup program? Just examine Backup Exec or Arcserve!

• Proposed as answer by S. Stops Thursday, May 24, 2012 10:50 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by S. Stops Thursday, May 24, 2012 10:50 PM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 1:39 PM
  • There is a slight differentiation how the DPM sees as a library/tapes compared to others. DPM takes the complete library and tries to eliminate user activitiy requirement as much as possible by providing necessary tape/backup workflows, where in case of other products they give the flexibility to treat library as individual pieces of backup tapes and leaves the overhead of manitaning tapes and their versions to users. Both has pro and cons. In DPM case, the UI gives most of the daily required straight line activies, where in case of powershell gives more flexibility at the same hides it from regular users shooting themselves easily(as if they were in UI). Hope this helps you understand why some features available only in Powershell but not UI.
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:50 AM