none
COM Port Issues due to serial mouse ball RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently having problems with the com ports for my win 10 workstation in my current project.

I have built a vessel data distribution unit using window 10 OS workstation, which distribute information from vessel sensors to several navigation systems. The data distribution unit is receiving continuous NMEA data from the sensors via 18 serial com port interfaces. The problem occurs when the workstation reboot or recover from an illegal shutdown. The workstation detected several serial mouse connections and caused some of the navigation systems from receiving the data. This is undesirable as the vessel needs the information for vessel navigation.

The below solution has been applied but does not solve the problems:

1. Disabling of serial mouse in device managers
    2. Disabling of serial mouse registry 

I would anyone to help for my situation and whether using win 10 OS for my application is viable

• Edited by EdwinNgCH Wednesday, July 10, 2019 5:18 AM
    Wednesday, July 10, 2019 5:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description,I think this thread Device misdetected as serial mouse may be  the cause.

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Meanwhile, You can read about this and download the tool from the Microsoft Knowledge-base article at support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/819036.

Hope these can help you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:29 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 15, 2019 7:47 AM
  • Hi,

I would be able to provide an update only after 19/7 as the vessel is only available for maintenance the day 18/7.

For the COMdisable tool, is this tool applicable only when the serial mouse is detected ? The current observation on the serial mouse issues is that every time the window OS reboot back from an illegal shutdown, the serial mouse detected issues will happen again even though I have already disable some of the com ports.

Thanks.

• Edited by EdwinNgCH Monday, July 15, 2019 12:58 PM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 12:43 PM
  • Hi,

From the overview, in situations when Windows incorrectly detects a serial device that is connected to your computer, use the COMDisable tool to display a list of the COM ports on your computer and then to disable the COM port where the device that is incorrectly detected by Windows is connected.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 7:18 AM