Extremely Slow Startup in the Morning. RRS feed

• Question

• I use i7 four-cores, 16GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro.... I recently shut it down in the night, and when I started it in the morning (say after 6-7 hours)... It booted, and "welcome screen" stayed for about 2-3 minutes, then the desktop remained freezed for about another 7-8 minutes. But when I restarted it a couple of times after that, everything was alright and it remained OK for rest of the day (I restarted it to check during the day few times). Then again at night, I shut it down, just to check what happens in the morning, Same thing happened.

I can't seem to find what the problem is. Help!!!

Monday, August 15, 2011 5:57 AM

Answers

• The problem is being caused by having 2 anti-viruses.  I quote from the ESET support page:

"If you have installed an ESET security product on a computer which already has a non-ESET antivirus product installed, you may experience degraded system performance. Please uninstall both products and reinstall your ESET software using the information contained in this article..."

So, you need to choose:  Do you want ESET, or McAfee.  You can't have both.  As you can see, McAfee also doesn't like ESET being there.  They do not co-exist well.  This is true in genera: NEVER install 2 anti-virus products on the same machine!

Re your question about forums:  Of course there are thousands of others, but Technet is the official Microsoft technical forum for questions like yours.  It is also the best forum, because it is moderated by Microsoft Employees, and the rules of conduct here a VERY strict.

My advice: Come to Technet if you want the REAL answer :-)

To see all the forums available under Technet, see this link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

• Proposed as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:55 AM
    • Edited by Bigteddy Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:17 AM Confirmed by asker
    • Marked as answer by Sten2020 Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:38 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:47 AM

All replies

• Check you System and Application event logs with Event Viewer at around the time the machine starts up.  Look for any errors and warnings, and post back here.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 6:01 AM
  • ok..
    Machine Starts at 07:01
    Application
    at 07:05:21 error McLogEvent
    then 07:05:48 error WMI
    System
    at     07:03:26 error Service Control Manager
    then 07:05:40 error Service Control Manager
    then 07:07:13 error DistributedCOM
    But, before posting, I restarted my machine just now, and there were no errors this time around.

Monday, August 15, 2011 7:23 AM
  • Keep us posted.  The Service Control Manager events are of interest if they persist.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 7:29 AM
  • So, what seem to be the problem, u reckon, could it be some hardware issue???
    Monday, August 15, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Can you post the detailed logs for the dcom and service control manager error.

Monday, August 15, 2011 6:19 PM
  • PC Starts 06:29:04
    Error 06:31:00 Service control Manager 7022
    The ESET Serivice hung on starting
    Error 06:31:39 DistributedCOM 10010
    The server {1F87137D-0E7C-44D5-8C73-4EFFB68962F2} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
    Error 06:33:43 Service Cotrol Manager 7031
    The McAfee McShield service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 5000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    Error 06:34:47 DistriutedCOM 10010
    The server {3A185DDE-E020-4985-A8F2-E27CDC4A0F3A} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
    But the thing is:
    -I started it in morning, it hung after booting for about 5-6 minutes,
    -then I shut it down and started it again, it hung again.
    -I again shut it down and started it, hung again for 1-2 minutes...
    -then I restarted it, started like charm...
    -shut it down, started, again Started like a charm.
    -and shows no problem for the rest of the day.
    But if i leave it off for about 4-5 hours, then start it... hangs.
    Now, yesterday, before pressing the start button on PC cabinet, i left the power on for about 1 hour, then I started it and there was no problem watsoever.
    Is there any connection or is it just coincidence? Btw, what could cause such problem? software-vise or hardware-vise??? If anybody knows, plz tell...
    (also, is there any other helpful forum like this? this is my first time seeking help on forums :))
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:12 AM
  • The problem is being caused by having 2 anti-viruses.  I quote from the ESET support page:

"If you have installed an ESET security product on a computer which already has a non-ESET antivirus product installed, you may experience degraded system performance. Please uninstall both products and reinstall your ESET software using the information contained in this article..."

So, you need to choose:  Do you want ESET, or McAfee.  You can't have both.  As you can see, McAfee also doesn't like ESET being there.  They do not co-exist well.  This is true in genera: NEVER install 2 anti-virus products on the same machine!

Re your question about forums:  Of course there are thousands of others, but Technet is the official Microsoft technical forum for questions like yours.  It is also the best forum, because it is moderated by Microsoft Employees, and the rules of conduct here a VERY strict.

My advice: Come to Technet if you want the REAL answer :-)

To see all the forums available under Technet, see this link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

• Proposed as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:55 AM
    • Edited by Bigteddy Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:17 AM Confirmed by asker
    • Marked as answer by Sten2020 Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:38 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:47 AM
  • You were right, turned out ESET came pre installed on machine and when I installed McAfee, it didn't automatically remove ESET, just disabled it.

Slow Startup is solved, thanks mate! now I checked Event Viewer it shows a warning.

"Warning mfehidk

Event ID 516, Task Category (256)

Process **\svchost.exe pid (404) contains signed but untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a McAfee driver."

Now, wat's that? and how do I remove this warning?

Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:53 AM
  • I'm not sure, but my advice is to uninstall McAfee, and re-install it if you really want the error message to go away.  But if your McAfee is operating properly, and the computer is behaving, you can probably ignore that error. (And mark the answer in this thread if you want)

Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:16 AM
  • Thanks for your help! :) 'appreciate it.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:43 AM
  • Only a pleasure. 
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:10 AM