none
Ownership changing when project files opened RRS feed

• Question

• We have a situation where we have 35 project files that all project managers can view, but a specific owner is designated as the owner of each one. We have a situation where ownership of project files in the project center is changing when someone opens the file.   For example:  Jane is the owner of a project file.  James opens it to look at it.  When James closes the file it now shows James as the owner.   I need to read some documentation on ownership but can't locate any.  I only come up with how to change ownership. I'd be grateful for any ideas or links to research. 

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 10:58 PM

Answers

• Update - after 2 prolonged sessions with MS support they were able to replicate the problem and have acknowledge that the issue is on their end in the SP Permissions Mode.  They will be working on a fix to push out at some later date.  It was suggested that I switch to Project Permissions Mode which I will be trying to figure out and implement.

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.

• Marked as answer by run4it Thursday, May 2, 2019 7:59 PM
    Thursday, May 2, 2019 7:59 PM

All replies

• run4it --

How do you know that the system is automatically changing the Owner of the project?  Where do you see this information?  What you are describing is certainly NOT the default behavior of the tool.  Let us know the answer to the above questions and we will do our best to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 2:32 AM
  • I see know way of knowing who has edited project files.  It is not like a regular sharepoint object where I can use the Modified By attribute.  All I know is that file ownerships keep changing apparently from either just opening the file or in the most bizarre example - when a new person was added to the Project Manager's group and logged into the PWA site she became the owner of someone's file immediately without ever having done anything.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 3:31 PM
  • run4it --

Please re-read my last reply.  You did not answer either of the questions I asked of you.  If you will not help us with the information we need, we will not be able to help you with your problem.  Please let us know.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 3:33 PM
  • I have no way of knowing who or what (including the system itself) has changed ownership on project files.  I just know they are changing per the image below.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 3:51 PM
  • We have been doing some more testing this morning.  There are two "files" that change ownership to whoever logs in. It seems they are connected in some manner.  When college A is shown as the owner, college B does not show up in the Pick Resource list from which to select a new owner.  When college B is shown as the owner, college A does not show up in the Pick Resource list.  It is as if PWA thinks they are the same project.

• Edited by run4it Wednesday, April 24, 2019 7:32 PM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2019 6:20 PM
  • Make that 3 projects that are changing ownership somehow.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 7:55 PM
  • run4it --

IMPORTANT QUESTION:  Are you using Project Server or Project Online?  You have posted questions in both the Project Server and Project Online forums, but never stated what tool you are using.  If you are using Project Server, what version are you using?  I would assume Project Server 2016.  Please confirm that.

And if you ARE using Project Server rather than Project Online, have you updated it with the latest software updates from Microsoft?  Let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 11:49 PM
  • We are Project Online.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 11:53 PM
  • Ideas anyone?  I was on support with MS last week for 1.5 hours with no joy.  Supposedly it was escalated to the next tier level,, but haven't heard back.  In the meantime we have people who can't edit their project files.

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 4:22 PM
  • Update - after 2 prolonged sessions with MS support they were able to replicate the problem and have acknowledge that the issue is on their end in the SP Permissions Mode.  They will be working on a fix to push out at some later date.  It was suggested that I switch to Project Permissions Mode which I will be trying to figure out and implement.

• Marked as answer by run4it Thursday, May 2, 2019 7:59 PM
    Thursday, May 2, 2019 7:59 PM
  • Do you know if the problem has been corrected? If yes, in which CU? I have the same problem with Project server 2016
    Wednesday, March 11, 2020 11:16 AM
  • I do not know.  We changed to Project Premissions Mode and basically recreated all permissions.

Wednesday, March 11, 2020 3:22 PM