Windows 8.1 Enterprise => Windows 10 Enterprise upgrade = Unhearable microphone levels in Skype for Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Today I updated from Windows 8.1 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise and found that my microphone fails to produce high enough output to be usable in Skype for desktop (did not used to be the case). When running the configure microphone wizard it indicates that the microphone has relatively low levels but Cortana can here me and playback through Sound Recorder also sounds fine; Skype's the only one that seems to get an unusably low sound level.

Note: I did a "Keep nothing" install of Windows 10 Enterprise. Therefore had to re-install Skype for Desktop from the ground up.

Setup:

PC: XPS 12 (9Q23, Late 2012)

Microphone: Realtek High Definition Audio (Built-in Microphone)

Driver Version: 6.0.1.7544

Steps I've tried:

• Ensure default device
    • Boost audio levels to max in W10 microphone settings
    • Boost audio levels to max in Skype's microphone settings
    • Run Audio Troubleshooter
    • Run general hardware troubleshooter
    • Reinstall Audio drivers via W10
    • Reinstall Audio drivers from third party
    • Several variations of settings on microphone based on other conversations related to the issue (tried pretty much every variation)
    • Run Skype in Windows 8 compatibility mode
    • Run Skype in Win8 comp mode + Admin
    • Run compatibility troubleshooter on Skype
    • Every solution on the potential fixes noted at the Skype audio troubleshooting page.

Has anyone found a fix for this? Or is it a known issue that's being looked into?

Thursday, July 30, 2015 6:18 PM

Answers

• A new Realtek HD Audio driver was released which fixes the issue. You can get it here. 
    Monday, August 3, 2015 2:16 AM