none
Default Disk type and conversion RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All,

When I create a new VM, and do a new vhd, Hyper-V  defaults to IDE disk type. Is it possible to provide the option of IDE or SCSI for the initial VHD ? Also, where is the capability to covert an existing VHD from IDE to SCSI ?

Thanks in Advance,

Peter W

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 3:59 AM

Answers

• Also you cannot boot a Hyper-V VM from a SCSI VHD anyway and need to boot from IDE. You can read more about Hyper-V's IDE & SCSI here.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 8:06 PM

All replies

• What is there to convert? Even under Virtual Server there is nothing to convert. You can remove a vhd from IDE and simply attach it to SCSI or vice versa.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 4:20 AM
  • Also you cannot boot a Hyper-V VM from a SCSI VHD anyway and need to boot from IDE. You can read more about Hyper-V's IDE & SCSI here.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 8:06 PM
  • Is this capability changing in Hyper-V, from Virtual Server 2005 R2 ? I have a number of virtual guest machines using only SCSI vhd's currently, will these not be able to run under Hyper-V ?

Regards,

Peter W

Friday, January 4, 2008 3:23 AM
  • Yes, this is changing in Hyper-V because SCSI is handled differently in Server 2008 with Hyper-V. I still do not see what you are worried about. There is no difference in the vhd. In Virtual Server, if you remove your system vhd from SCSI and connect it to IDE it will boot. In Virtual Server I regularly install the OS using IDE then shift the vhd to SCSI. No changes to the vhd are needed.   

Friday, January 4, 2008 7:13 AM
  • The problem is Microsoft will not support e.g. Exchange Server 2008 on virtual IDE HDs! So again a support drama like the Exchange 2007 Server was not supported in 32 Bit. But Virtual Server 2005 R2 did not support any 64 Bit Windows.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 6:16 PM
  • This will be supported under Hyper-V - as IDE disks have the same performance characteristics as SCSI disks under Hyper-V.  There is no difference.

Cheers,

Ben

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 6:28 PM