server 2008 local users folder partly deleted RRS feed

• Question

• I can no longer lod in locally to a DC after the users folder has been partly deleted. normal admin account opens and displays black screen with mouse pointer only, other accoutn displays blue screen with "Please wait for the User Profile Service...." and does not advance from that , Ctrl/Alt/Del no effect.

the server is still running all services but I have no local or remote console access.

How can I repair the users folder for local accounts?

Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:59 AM

Answers

• Hi Ian:

Backups available?  Boot on the DVD and choose the option to restore.  It allows for selective restore.

Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:55 AM
  • Hi,

The recreated user accounts have the different SID as the original users, so the permission settings will not be the same.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 9:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Ian:

Backups available?  Boot on the DVD and choose the option to restore.  It allows for selective restore.

Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:55 AM
  • Hi thanks,

There are shadow copies twice daily so should be able to restore to these once accounts are open,

Can you say if recreating user account with same name as previouse accounts will be available with same pemissions for Active Directory and other admin functions, ?

Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:08 AM
  • Hi,

The recreated user accounts have the different SID as the original users, so the permission settings will not be the same.

Regards,

Thursday, July 7, 2011 9:02 AM
  • There was a second server on the network which allowed access and the DC files were restored from it.
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 12:23 PM
  • I don't understand how this 2nd box helped but am glad to hear you have resolved your problem but I gotta ask...

Why does anyone _but_ the 'normal admin account' have local logon priveleges to the DC and was this a contributing factor to the cause of the problem?

Saturday, August 20, 2011 1:03 PM