Win 2012 R2 Domain and win 2012 r2 essential RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a windows 2012r2 server being using as my domain controller. Some machine that I use for video recorder currently are shipping with win 2012 r2 server essential. I added the essential server to the current domain as one would enter a member server. A notification in server manager is requesting that I set up windows essential. So, I need assistance with the following

1) It is my understanding the I can add the windows essentials role to my current 2012 r2 standard server.

Then run essential setup in server manager on the 2012 r2 machine and set it up as a member server.

is there a way to add the 2012 r2 essentials machine to the domain with out using essentials.

2) can a windows 2012 r2 essential server be added to a 2008 server as a member server?

Any help would be appreciated.

shawn

Friday, January 15, 2016 7:53 PM

Answers

• The Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials once deployed, must be the domain controller at the root of the forest and domain, and must hold all the FSMO roles.
    • Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials can only be deployed into a single domain. Also, a read-only domain controller cannot exist in this domain.
    • It can be installed in a pre-existing Active Directory domain only on the pretext that you are migrating to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. Note that there is a grace period of 21 days for completing the entire migration from previous versions of Windows Server Essentials or Small Business Server editions.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2014/02/21/deploying-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-in-an-existing-active-directory-environment.aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/dn281793.aspx

Friday, January 15, 2016 8:23 PM
  • Hi,

There are two kinds of Essentials Server:
    1. Windows Server 2012/2012 R2 essentials
    2. Windows Server 2012/2012 R2 Standard/Datacenter with Essentials Experience role installed.

The 2nd one is actually Standard/Datacenter version which can also provide the Functions of Essentials server. It can be added and worked as a member server in exiting domain. As the 1st one, there are limitations just as Frederick Dicaire mentioned. It must be the PDC(holds FSMO) on the domain. 

>is there a way to add the 2012 r2 essentials machine to the domain without using essentials.
    If the “2012 r2 essentials machine” you mentioned means the 1st one, it must meet all limitations about Essentials server(PDC and holds FSMO). If it means the 2nd one, it can be used as normal server and there is no necessary to install Essentials Experience role.

>can a windows 2012 r2 essential server be added to a 2008 server as a member server?
    If it is the 1st one, no. If it the 2nd one, yes.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 18, 2016 8:42 AM

All replies

• The Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials once deployed, must be the domain controller at the root of the forest and domain, and must hold all the FSMO roles.
    • Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials can only be deployed into a single domain. Also, a read-only domain controller cannot exist in this domain.
    • It can be installed in a pre-existing Active Directory domain only on the pretext that you are migrating to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. Note that there is a grace period of 21 days for completing the entire migration from previous versions of Windows Server Essentials or Small Business Server editions.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2014/02/21/deploying-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-in-an-existing-active-directory-environment.aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/dn281793.aspx

Friday, January 15, 2016 8:23 PM
  • Hi,

There are two kinds of Essentials Server:
    1. Windows Server 2012/2012 R2 essentials
    2. Windows Server 2012/2012 R2 Standard/Datacenter with Essentials Experience role installed.

The 2nd one is actually Standard/Datacenter version which can also provide the Functions of Essentials server. It can be added and worked as a member server in exiting domain. As the 1st one, there are limitations just as Frederick Dicaire mentioned. It must be the PDC(holds FSMO) on the domain. 

>is there a way to add the 2012 r2 essentials machine to the domain without using essentials.
    If the “2012 r2 essentials machine” you mentioned means the 1st one, it must meet all limitations about Essentials server(PDC and holds FSMO). If it means the 2nd one, it can be used as normal server and there is no necessary to install Essentials Experience role.

>can a windows 2012 r2 essential server be added to a 2008 server as a member server?
    If it is the 1st one, no. If it the 2nd one, yes.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 18, 2016 8:42 AM
  • Ok, so let me see if I have this straight. 1) current 2012 r2 standard domain ( no essentials role added)to this server. As I don't want the role installed. 2) join 2012 r2 essentials as a member server... 3) now, everything works..but. server manager on the server wants essentials setup run I guess my question is does Windows essentials role have to be installed anyplace in my setup when using essentials as a member server? do I even have to run the essentials setup on the essentials r2 server or can it in fact be deleted in my setup?
    Friday, March 18, 2016 6:25 AM