none
Missing Operating System - Windows 7 with SP1 - Dell E5420 AF Drive

Question

• Hi All

I am facing an issue when deploying a custom Windows 7 with SP1 image on Dell E5420 with Advanced Format drive. The Operating System installs but after the first reboot I get an error message “Missing Operating System

Below Is the setup

1.       MDT 2010 Update 1 with latest E5420 drivers imported in Out of Box drivers.  (Latest SATA drivers too)

2.       WAIK for Windows 7 (WinPE 3.0)

3.       As per Dell site I have  added  KB982018 patch to both boot.wim and also the OS.WIM http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Deploying+Dell+systems+with+Advanced+Format+Hard+Drives#fbid=CghFtPnx1VR

4.       WDS to deploy

According the below Dell forum, people have fixed by updating the BIOS or injecting KB982018 or without using the BDE partition
    http://www.delltechcenter.com/thread/4595382/MDT2010++-+Missing+Operating+System+on+4k+Drives#fbid=CghFtPnx1VR

The things I have not tried:

1.       Update to WAIK for Windows 7 SP1 – (adding KB982018 to WinPE 3.0 should be sufficient right?)

2.       Update BIOS  

3.       Without BDE Partition (Wondering if it affects Bitlocker?)

Windows 7 SP1 should ideally support AF drives but wondering what is happening.

Can you please guide me?

Update: I have tried deploying without BDE partition (i.e DoNotCreateExtraPartition=YES in CS.ini), there is no issue when the machine reboots for the first time. When enabling Bitlocker after OS deployment the machine reboots to create the BDE partition but it again fails with the same error "Missing Operating System"

Thanks

Thursday, September 01, 2011 12:26 PM

Answers

• Updating the BIOS from A00 to A01 has fixed the issue. I have also verified with A02 Bios update.
    Since there is a lot of talk regarding AF drives, i had to make sure that everything related to software is in place. hence kept Bios update as the last resort.
    Thanks a lot Johan and Ranga 
    Just FYI (XP issue on AF drives): We are able to successfully deploy Win XP ghost images on AF drives using align=1mb ghost command line switch which would align disks.  Also, Pointsec 6.3.1 had issues before, but aligning using the switch has fixed the issue.
    • Marked as answer by kantzy Tuesday, September 06, 2011 12:35 PM
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 12:35 PM

All replies

• Make sure you have an Intel SATA driver that supports Advanced Format Hard Drives, at least 9.6 but try the latest.

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch
    Thursday, September 01, 2011 10:39 PM
  • I am using 10.1.0.1008 SATA driver which is the latest.

This is happening because of the BDE partition which gets created when Bitlocker is enabled. Without Bitlocker (no 300mb partition), things are just fine. 

Update:

i have updated WAIK (WinPE 3.1) but still no luck . 

• Edited by kantzy Friday, September 02, 2011 2:19 PM
    Friday, September 02, 2011 10:42 AM
  • Can you plese upload the bdd.log and setupact.log somewhere and post the link?

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch
    Friday, September 02, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Hi,

can you try updating the bios and check if it works

Regards

Ranga

• Proposed as answer by Ranganathan S Tuesday, September 06, 2011 12:51 PM
    Monday, September 05, 2011 10:54 AM
  • Updating the BIOS from A00 to A01 has fixed the issue. I have also verified with A02 Bios update.
    Since there is a lot of talk regarding AF drives, i had to make sure that everything related to software is in place. hence kept Bios update as the last resort.
    Thanks a lot Johan and Ranga 
    Just FYI (XP issue on AF drives): We are able to successfully deploy Win XP ghost images on AF drives using align=1mb ghost command line switch which would align disks.  Also, Pointsec 6.3.1 had issues before, but aligning using the switch has fixed the issue.
    • Marked as answer by kantzy Tuesday, September 06, 2011 12:35 PM
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 12:35 PM