File Open Dialog not displaying all drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, this issue has been observed in our environment on Windows 2008 R2 and Win 7 Enterprise with different applications and I see it on my home PC.

I map a drive to an external resource. With Windows Explorer I can do anything in the drive. All normal. With Notepad File Open/Save dialog I can see the drive and do anything.  However with many applications, e.g. Microsoft App-V Sequencer the mapped drive is not visible or accessible even if I specifically enter the drive letter. I am working as Administrator and have the same experience when launching the applications in an elevated context.

A clue may revealed by Net Use. See screenshot. The Status is Unavailable. Yet I can browse, create and edit files.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3897/drivemappingcapture.png

This screenshot shows different File Open dialog results side by side on the same desktop session.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8128/filedialoguescapture.png

No group policies are applied. I can reproduce this on standalone non-domain machines  like the VM in the screenshots.

My guess is that the different applications are referencing the File Open API differently or even doing something "wrong". However this inconsistency occurs even new versions of Microsoft products.

Ideas ?

D

Saturday, September 3, 2011 7:50 PM

Answers

• When running in an elevated context, it is essentially a different session and cannot see what is available in your 'user' session.  You will need to re-map the drives in the elevated session to be able to use them.  I am not familiar with the specifics on App-V, but if that runs from a SYSTEM context, it will not be able to see the drives either.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | Twitter: @Rich_Prescott | Powershell Client System Administration tool
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 8:26 PM

All replies

• When running in an elevated context, it is essentially a different session and cannot see what is available in your 'user' session.  You will need to re-map the drives in the elevated session to be able to use them.  I am not familiar with the specifics on App-V, but if that runs from a SYSTEM context, it will not be able to see the drives either.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | Twitter: @Rich_Prescott | Powershell Client System Administration tool
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Rich, you are absolutely correct.

I used Psexec to start a cmd session as Local System (psexec -s -i cmd) and found no drives were mapped. Now I mapped to the appropriate resources.

I have just tested with a couple of the "problem" applications like the App-V Sequencer and AdminStudio and now the drives are available in the File Open dialogs. I thought the applications were running under my account.  Seems they are running as System indeed.

Thank you.

D

Saturday, September 3, 2011 8:46 PM