Why are my web pages out of context ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey gang.

Firefox 3.5

I just loaded 7 this morning. My monitor is 24 inches and displayed fine with XP.

Now, since loading 7, what has happened is that the contents of the page are in the middle of the screen and there are huge margins on either side.

This is only happening with the browser - my windows explorer windows are fine.

I have tried tinkering with the resolution but that's only making the writing larger, and not resizing the active part of the page.

I have attached a screen shot to show you what i mean by the huge margins.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5374/nocontext.jpg

I am guessing it's probably something with Firefox, but I am hoping someone has encountered and corrected this.

Thanks in advance !
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 3:05 AM

Answers

• thebone,

I have Windows 7, Firefox 3.5.3, and IE 8.0.7100.0.

Using Firefox I went to the website from the picture at the web location you gave and get the same thing.  I also tried it in IE and also get the same thing.  In both browsers you can use "CTRL - +" and "CTRL - -" to zoom in and out.

The reason it is like this is the layout of the page and it keeps everything looking as it should when you zoom in and out.  I suggest you zoom in and out to get it to fit your screen better.
    • Marked as answer by thebone Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:03 PM
    Monday, October 5, 2009 9:31 PM

All replies

• Is your screenshot the entire desktop or just the contents of your browser window?

Is 3.5 a beta release of FireFox?  I thought 3.0 was still current.  Edit:  Sorry, I missed that 3.5 was released, as the 3.0 software self-updated only to later versions of 3.0.

-Noel
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 9:58 AM
  • Is your screenshot the entire desktop or just the contents of your browser window?

Is 3.5 a beta release of FireFox?  I thought 3.0 was still current.  Edit:  Sorry, I missed that 3.5 was released, as the 3.0 software self-updated only to later versions of 3.0.

-Noel
    Hi Noel.

It's just the browser that is doing that.  IN the screen, the browser is maximized and that's all that displays for the actual active part of the page, if you know what i mean by those giant margin things.
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 10:52 AM
  • Hello,

According to your problem description, I guess that the issue might be caused by the coding or layout of the webpage, Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) for example. I suggest you try surfing the same webage in Internet Explorer 7 (Compatibility view); if the same issue occurred, you might contact the webpage provider to modify the error on the pages. Otherwise, it is recommended to submit a new thread to Firefox Support Forum. Thanks for your time and understanding!

Good Luck!

Andy

Monday, October 5, 2009 9:46 AM
  • thebone,

I have Windows 7, Firefox 3.5.3, and IE 8.0.7100.0.

Using Firefox I went to the website from the picture at the web location you gave and get the same thing.  I also tried it in IE and also get the same thing.  In both browsers you can use "CTRL - +" and "CTRL - -" to zoom in and out.

The reason it is like this is the layout of the page and it keeps everything looking as it should when you zoom in and out.  I suggest you zoom in and out to get it to fit your screen better.
    • Marked as answer by thebone Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:03 PM
    Monday, October 5, 2009 9:31 PM