XLS file not open or view in SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

In my sharepoint document library, i have excel files, problem is when i click on xls file it prompt me to option "Find, Save, Cancel", and when i click on xlsx file its open on browser, Does sharepoint support xls file to directory open on browser?

Regards
    Shahzeb

Friday, October 7, 2011 1:18 PM

Answers

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

XLS file format cannot be opened in the browser.

Workbooks in any of the following file formats can be opened in the browser:

• Office Excel 2007 Macro-Enabled Workbook (.xlsm)
    • Excel 2010 Workbook (.xlsx)
    • Excel 2010 Binary Workbook (.xlsb) file format

By using Excel Web App, you can open a workbook in Office Excel 2007 97-2003 format. However, you cannot open this workbook by using Excel Services.

More detailed information you can refer to this article: Differences between using a workbook in the browser and in Excel

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/differences-between-using-a-workbook-in-the-browser-and-in-excel-HA010369179.aspx

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards

William Zhou

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:20 AM