none
Master database rebuild.

Question

• Hi All,

I have a confusion on post checks after doing Mater database rebuild.I have not come across this situation til now. 

We need to restore all system db with the recent backups after the successful rebuild.

After rebuild,is there anything we need to do for user  database?

Can we see these dbs at SSMS online?If those are not available,is there any process to get backup them to online without restoring from a valid backup.

Kindly advice me.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 6:48 AM

Answers

• After rebuild,is there anything we need to do for user  database?

Can we see these dbs at SSMS online?If those are not available,is there any process to get backup them to online without restoring from a valid backup.

Once the Master database is rebuilt, you won't see any user databases in the SSMS object explorer. 

After the Master database is restored with a recent backup, you will see the user databases. However, the databases that were created after the last backup (you used for the restore) will not be visible. 

You would have manually attach them to the SQL instance.

Read more

Hope this helps!

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" if my response answered your question or click "Vote as helpful" if it helped you in any way.

• Marked as answer by mito access Tuesday, June 19, 2018 3:48 AM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2018 2:43 PM
  • Hello,

Seems that your concept is not clear regarding system database rebuild , basically master database keeps the information of SQL server configuration settings and the user databases , if the master database got corrupted it wont affect user database files , you can rebuild the master database , once the rebuild got completed you have to restore the master database with most recent fresh backup to get all the user database and system information back to in master db. if suppose you don't have valid backup then you can attach all the user database after that you need to create each login separately ( if do not have backup).

Please mark me as answer if my post helps you 

Br

ChetanV

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hello,

When you restore then most recent backup of the master DB, then you will have everything as before, including all Logins & registered databases.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:02 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Olaf.

if teh master db is corrupted and we don't have proper master db backup,the i go for master rebulid.

After rebuild i restore msdb to get all my jobs.

I just want to know what will be the status of userdbs? Will they available automatically after the rebuildor do i need to restore.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:11 AM
  • If you rebuild master, the databases will not exist in the server instance obviously. However, if the database files are still around, you can attach the existing files, and there would be no need to restore from a backup.

I need to add the disclaimer that your post is not very clear, so I don't understand what your exact situation is.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:17 AM

• After rebuild,is there anything we need to do for user  database?

Once the Master database is rebuilt, you won't see any user databases in the SSMS object explorer. 

After the Master database is restored with a recent backup, you will see the user databases. However, the databases that were created after the last backup (you used for the restore) will not be visible. 

You would have manually attach them to the SQL instance.

Read more

Hope this helps!

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" if my response answered your question or click "Vote as helpful" if it helped you in any way.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 2:43 PM
  • Hello,

Seems that your concept is not clear regarding system database rebuild , basically master database keeps the information of SQL server configuration settings and the user databases , if the master database got corrupted it wont affect user database files , you can rebuild the master database , once the rebuild got completed you have to restore the master database with most recent fresh backup to get all the user database and system information back to in master db. if suppose you don't have valid backup then you can attach all the user database after that you need to create each login separately ( if do not have backup).

Please mark me as answer if my post helps you 

Br

ChetanV

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:24 PM
  • Are you having an actual problem with master db or is this just a general question?

Rebuilding the system databases is an extremely rare problem.  In 20+ years, I have only had to do this a couple of times.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:39 PM