none
Surface 3 WDS boot issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have 21 new Surface 3 (not pro) and I am trying to image them from a WDS / MDT server. I have used same equipment / setup to image 60+ Surface Pro 3 and 100+ other laptops. When I try to image Surface 3 I can get 4 of 14 I have tried so far to boot properly. The other 10 get to screen where you press enter to boot image and freeze forever. I know machines work since I can boot image they were shipped with and use keyboards. I don't know what to try since it is a UEFI issue it seems. I can't believe the machines are all faulty but I am at a loss for what else to try? I know this isn't exactly a MDT issue but I don't know where else to ask.

Brian Hoyt

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 8:19 PM

All replies

• Is the firmware updated on all of them?

Most important details are logs. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 8:47 PM
  • Yep, I booted them into OOB 8.1 image and did firmware updates from WU before trying to image from WDS / MDT.

Oddly after stepping away for a week and coming back of my first 7 attempts 5 worked. I think the randomness is most frustrating.

Brian Hoyt

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 9:56 PM
  • On my second round of 7 (it takes a long time to image Surface 3, slow storage and USB) I got 1 of 7 to PXE boot. Falling back to USB offline deploy to see what happens.

Brian Hoyt

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 5:55 PM
  • Are you using the correct dongle?

Most important details are logs. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:33 PM
  • Yep, official Microsoft GigE Surface adapter with angle cut usb port. I have 8 of the dongles that work perfectly on my 60-70 Surface Pro 3 and some Surface 3 just not the rest.

I tired USB flash drive booting a MDT image and it froze on screen asking which OS to boot. Almost exact same behavior as PXE boot. It is like KB isn't working. If I boot without KB attached it should give me on screen KB to click enter, but it doesn't. Maybe these devices are all borked, very frustrating.

Brian Hoyt

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:51 PM
  • I actually got one to boot from USB MDT media. It fails on format step though. Since the storage in Surface 3 is essentially USB it mounts the USB Flash drive as disk 0 and internal storage as disk 1. Ugh. I am beginning to hate Surface 3 imaging. I thought Surface Pro 3 was painful, but this is nuts.

Brian Hoyt

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 7:08 PM
  • In an act of desperation I upgraded the OOB 8.1 to 10. This allowed me to install the newer firmware that was only released for Windows 10 7/23/2015. Now it seems like they are booting from PXE? The other machines I definitely didn't do this. So very confused but maybe a workaround. It takes like 4 hours to upgrade a Surface 3 to Windows 10. UGH!

Brian Hoyt

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 7:56 PM
  • At this point I would suggest opening a case with support.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:04 PM
  • I have, waiting for the 8 hour call back after spending an hour on phone trying to get to right Surface support. Business Surface support is tough it seems.

Brian Hoyt

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:28 PM
  • This is why we decided against wipe and load deployments for Surface tablets. We created an MDT task sequence that just joins the domain and installs apps. Techs run it from the OOB Windows install.

Trying to work with these things like traditional desktops and laptops was painful.

Thursday, September 24, 2015 12:33 AM
  • I agree on it being painful but just not sure that is a valid long term solution for these devices. It seems I may be past worst of it. Surface Pro 3 had similar launch issues with firmware and PXE and we can only hope Surface Pro 4 gets it right out the door.

Brian Hoyt

Monday, September 28, 2015 4:17 PM