How to search for literal characters in filename RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem where a program I use has created a number of near duplicate files. The files differ only by a hyphen in the file name.

I'm trying to use windows search but it seems to be treating the hyphen as a wild card. What is the syntax for specifying a hyphen or any other special character in the filename to be treated as a literal in Windows Search?

The files I'm trying to differentiate between look something like:

movie.fanart.jpg

movie-fanart.jpg

I'd like to be able to search and find all files that contain "-fanart" and leave the others out. Searching for just "-fanart" returns both files.

Monday, August 9, 2010 2:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

During the index creation, the word breaker treats the hyphen as a word separator. For example, "data-base" would be stored as "data" plus "base." At query time, a hyphenated phrase should be replaced with two alternatives: the two-word variant and the true compound. For example, "data-base" would be replaced by "data" plus "base" and "database."

For more information, please read:

Hyphenation

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, August 16, 2010 1:06 AM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:20 AM