none
Are Domains in Server 2016 Essentials Compatible with Windows Home Server 2011?

Question

• Hello:

For the past 8 years I have been using Window Home Server 2011 for my main file repository and the image backup capability.

I want to add a Windows Server 2016 Essentials server to my network of 10 computers and establish a domain in which all my workstations can join.

• Can the two network servers co-exist?
    • Can each client computer have connectors to both servers?

Thanks,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Monday, April 29, 2019 4:37 PM

Answers

• Windows Server Essentials 2016 will only run as primary domain controller.

I believe that 2011 had the same limitation.

You can run them temporarily in the same domain, I think for a two week period, which is designed to give you migration time. After that, the one that is not a domain controller will put entries in the system log that it's not in license compliance and then shut down the system. 

If you install the 2016 server in the same domain as the original, it will upgrade the domain schema to the newest schema so they are compatible.

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Monday, April 29, 2019 10:12 PM
    Monday, April 29, 2019 8:28 PM
  • hi,
    "Is there a way to determine at either the sever or workstation level what my domain name is?"
    could you please give a example about your question ?(i can not understand completely your needs)
    in general ,when we configure windows server 2016 essentials ,we can enter the" internal domain name" for server 2016 essentails  AD domain name.
    How To Install Windows server 2016 essentials
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=367iYyBZ2ow

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Tuesday, April 30, 2019 4:17 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 3:44 AM
  • Hi Rich. Windows Home server 2011 does not actually run as a domain controller but rather as an ordinary member server in a workgroup. Therefore there is no real conflict with using Windows server Essentials 2016 on the same LAN.

That said, you can only have one client connector installed at a time on your client computers so you would have to pick the server you want to use for centralized backup. You could still use the other server for file sharing but only one of them could be used at a time for things like anywhere access and client backup.

Another thing to be aware of is that a server OS cannot be a client to an Essentials server. So you cannot run the connector on your Windows Home server box or add it to client backup on your WSE box.

Moving to domain networking is quite a bit more complicated ,especially if you have mobile PCs in the mix. It is possible to run WSE 2016 on your network without joining your client computers to its domain however. All the actual Essentials features work just the same. For some additional thoughts on how to do that see my reply in the following thread.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/2b4dcd81-4486-448d-96d3-596fdd7c53f1/image-backup-and-restore-for-windows-10-professional?forum=ws16essentials#2c374444-1b58-431a-a810-8b7234e22b49

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Wednesday, May 1, 2019 5:29 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 10:16 PM

All replies

• Windows Server Essentials 2016 will only run as primary domain controller.

I believe that 2011 had the same limitation.

You can run them temporarily in the same domain, I think for a two week period, which is designed to give you migration time. After that, the one that is not a domain controller will put entries in the system log that it's not in license compliance and then shut down the system. 

If you install the 2016 server in the same domain as the original, it will upgrade the domain schema to the newest schema so they are compatible.

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Monday, April 29, 2019 10:12 PM
    Monday, April 29, 2019 8:28 PM
  • Hello William:

That was not the answer I was looking for :)>

But, reality is reality.  I will probably uninstall the WHS11 connector on all my workstations before connecting to Server 2016.

Is there a way to determine at either the sever or workstation level what my domain name is?

Thanks,

Monday, April 29, 2019 10:15 PM
  • hi,
    "Is there a way to determine at either the sever or workstation level what my domain name is?"
    could you please give a example about your question ?(i can not understand completely your needs)
    in general ,when we configure windows server 2016 essentials ,we can enter the" internal domain name" for server 2016 essentails  AD domain name.
    How To Install Windows server 2016 essentials
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=367iYyBZ2ow

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Tuesday, April 30, 2019 4:17 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 3:44 AM
  • Hi Rich. Windows Home server 2011 does not actually run as a domain controller but rather as an ordinary member server in a workgroup. Therefore there is no real conflict with using Windows server Essentials 2016 on the same LAN.

That said, you can only have one client connector installed at a time on your client computers so you would have to pick the server you want to use for centralized backup. You could still use the other server for file sharing but only one of them could be used at a time for things like anywhere access and client backup.

Another thing to be aware of is that a server OS cannot be a client to an Essentials server. So you cannot run the connector on your Windows Home server box or add it to client backup on your WSE box.

Moving to domain networking is quite a bit more complicated ,especially if you have mobile PCs in the mix. It is possible to run WSE 2016 on your network without joining your client computers to its domain however. All the actual Essentials features work just the same. For some additional thoughts on how to do that see my reply in the following thread.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/2b4dcd81-4486-448d-96d3-596fdd7c53f1/image-backup-and-restore-for-windows-10-professional?forum=ws16essentials#2c374444-1b58-431a-a810-8b7234e22b49

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Wednesday, May 1, 2019 5:29 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 10:16 PM
  • Great support!!

Thanks,

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 5:30 PM