none
MSP resourcing issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am trying to create a resourcing spreadsheet for a project (with the future idea to roll multiple projects up into a programme resource view). At the moment we do not have specific people assigned to specific tasks (e.g bob does task x), but rather a pool of general resource (e.g 1x Project Manager). 

Currently I have two tasks, that will both happen in the month of October, using the same person. However the task is just 1 day within that month. I have used the fixed duration and the costs are coming out correctly, however, it will not allow me to make task 2 a predecessor of task 1 without moving out the dates, even though it is only 1 day within that time period that each task needs. 

Is there a way around this? 

Thursday, December 19, 2019 1:49 PM

All replies

• MSPnewbie --

It sounds like task 1 and task 2 both need to start at the same time.  If this is the case, link the two tasks to initially set a Finish to Start (FS) dependency.  Then double-click anywhere on the link line between the two task's Gantt bars to display the Task Dependency dialog.  In the dialog, click the Type pick list and select the Start to Start (SS) dependency, and then click the OK button.  Does that help?  Let us know.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, December 19, 2019 4:25 PM
  • MSPnewbie,

Pardon my jumping in. A start-to-start dependency works fine if the single resource does NOT work a full day (i.e. 8hr) on each task, otherwise the resource will be overallocated.

Your example indicates you have two, 1 day tasks in the month of October using the same resource. You mention a relationship between the two tasks but it isn't clear whether they need to be done on the same day or each done any day during the month of October.

Perhaps Dale understood better than I and his suggestion of a start-to-start dependency is exactly what you need/want, but if not, please give us more detail on the two tasks and we'll help you out.

John

Thursday, December 19, 2019 4:49 PM