Intermittent slow network browsing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are experiencing a weird issue with network browsing from Windows 7 x64 enterprise edition on a Server 2008 R2 share.

What happens is when a user browses a network share and selects a file, it takes +-20 seconds to select the file. If multiple files are selected it takes even longer before it responds. When it does respond, going up and down in the folder hirarchy goes fast, but when selecting any files (not opening, just selecting) it takes very logn to respond.

While waiting for it to start responding I can open and close other programs on the PC, use Windows Explorer to browse the local hard drive all without issue. Something else that makes it weird is I browse the exact same folder and select files from another device and I can select files without issue.

So at this point one starts to think the issue is with the local computer, but this happens with about 40 people (not everyone) but not always at the same time. And the issue is also not the local server, because it happens on two different server shares.

To be honest I'm not sure if this issue is client side, server side, network or whatever. Originally I thought network, but why does one person experience it, and the person right next to him does not have the issue? But 3 hours later a different person has the same issue.

My gut feel is it's not a network issue, because while this happned, I ran a continous ping to the user's computer, and it did not drop a single ping, and latency stayed below 1ms the whole time.

Any deas where to start? What I've done, apart from trying to figure out if the issue is on the server or on the client, is I've bypassed the DFS-N share and accessed the share via \servername\sharename and that gave the same issue.

Friday, October 31, 2014 6:33 AM

Answers

• Capture the packets using NetMon and check where the traffic is getting blocked / slowed down.

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by arnavsharma Thursday, November 6, 2014 11:39 PM
    Friday, October 31, 2014 12:28 PM
  • Hi Jacovzy,

According to your detailed description, it seems this client issue. However, we need to verify it.

Since you are in domain environment, please logon this Windows 7 Enterprise x64 edition computer with other domain user account to check if all user logon in this computer have the same issue.

If yes, it should be the client issue. We could perform a clean boot to check if there is caused by some third-party software conflicts.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 3, 2014 11:03 AM

All replies

• Capture the packets using NetMon and check where the traffic is getting blocked / slowed down.

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, October 31, 2014 12:28 PM
  • Hi Jacovzy,

According to your detailed description, it seems this client issue. However, we need to verify it.

Since you are in domain environment, please logon this Windows 7 Enterprise x64 edition computer with other domain user account to check if all user logon in this computer have the same issue.

If yes, it should be the client issue. We could perform a clean boot to check if there is caused by some third-party software conflicts.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 3, 2014 11:03 AM