none
Do child calendars have dynamic inheritance from base calendars? RRS feed

• Question

• Let's assume that:

1) I create a "company calendar" for recording the specific and public holidays of the company and I save it.

2) I assign this company calendar as the base calendar for my project.

3) I create a set of "resource calendars" for the 34 resources that I have in the company. Each such calendar is based on the company calendar and records the specific holidays of each resource in the company. I save them all.

What happens to my resource calendars if I make subsequent changes to my company calendar?

A1: the changes made to the company calendar are dynamically propagated to each of my resource calendars that were based on it.

A2: the changes are not propagated. I have to reapply the changes manually to my 34 resource calendars.

I am afraid that the correct answer will be A2. 

Can someone confirm this or tell me how to proceed for obtaining A1 behaviour?

Thank you.

Monday, January 9, 2017 5:54 PM

Answers

• SASPA --

Your mistake is step #3.  You DO NOT need to create separate resource calendars for each of your resources.  Instead, you should apply the Resource Sheet view of your project and then select the company calendar in the Base Calendar column for each resource.  Using this process, if you update the company calendar, this will automatically update each resource's calendar, which is the behavior you seek.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by SASPA Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:03 AM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 6:03 PM
  • SASPA,

In addition to Dale's expert advice, let me add one additional part to pick up on your inference of "specific holidays for each resource".

If, in addition to company holidays, individual resources have their own paid time off (PTO), you could account for that with resource exceptions. For example, in the following screen shot, resource "Bill" is taking PTO on Jan 18 through 20. Note the "Base Calendar" for all three resources is the "Company Calendar" as Dale suggested.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, January 9, 2017 6:17 PM
  • SASPA,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Yes, that's right, resource calendars are "hidden", you can only access them through the Resource Information window.

If you have a resource pool and you have set up exceptions for each resource in addition to a Base Calendar, then those calendar specifics will be available to any project that uses that resource. So in that regard, yes it would be "global".

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by SASPA Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:10 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:07 PM
  • Michel,

Again, thanks for the feedback. I'm glad we could help clarify how calendars work in Project.

There are actually three calendars in Project, the project calendar, task calendar, and resource calendar. The project calendar is the default basis for the other two if there aren't any exceptions for specific tasks or resources. In your case, you would set up your company holidays on the project calendar, just as you have done, and by default that will carry over to every task and resource (base calendar). As discussed previously any resource can have exceptions to the base calendar, which you also have done.

But let's say you have a particular task that includes a process that runs 24 hours. In that case you might want to assign the "24 hours" calendar as the Task Calendar for that task. By default all tasks have a "none" shown in the Task Calendar field and this "none" is actually the project calendar, the "none" simply means that the task takes no exception to the project calendar. However, if you change the task calendar to the "24 hours" calendar, scheduling of that task will run 24-7. If a resource is assigned to that task, that resource may or may not follow the 24 hour scheduling depending on whether the option is set to "ignore resource calendars" (Task Information > advanced tab).

Hopefully this round out the calendar information.

John

• Marked as answer by SASPA Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:45 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 4:30 PM

All replies

• SASPA --

Your mistake is step #3.  You DO NOT need to create separate resource calendars for each of your resources.  Instead, you should apply the Resource Sheet view of your project and then select the company calendar in the Base Calendar column for each resource.  Using this process, if you update the company calendar, this will automatically update each resource's calendar, which is the behavior you seek.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, January 9, 2017 6:03 PM
  • SASPA,

In addition to Dale's expert advice, let me add one additional part to pick up on your inference of "specific holidays for each resource".

If, in addition to company holidays, individual resources have their own paid time off (PTO), you could account for that with resource exceptions. For example, in the following screen shot, resource "Bill" is taking PTO on Jan 18 through 20. Note the "Base Calendar" for all three resources is the "Company Calendar" as Dale suggested.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, January 9, 2017 6:17 PM
  • Thank you for your answer Dale.

If my understanding is correct, the resource's calendar you refer to is thus a kind of "hidden calendar" attached to each resource. I say hidden because it does not appears as a calendar that can be managed through the Organizer Calendar tab widget.

Will the change made to this resource calendar be available as global i.e. available in all projects sharing that resource?

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:18 AM
  • Thank you for your answer John.

I assume that the resource's calendar is accessed through the following path:

Resource Tab ->Built-in: Resource Sheet -> Resource Information -> Change Working Time -> Exceptions 

Feel free to add additional comments to my reply (same as to Dale).

If my understanding is correct, the resource's calendar you refer to is thus a kind of "hidden calendar" attached to each resource. I say hidden because it does not appears as a calendar that can be managed through the Organizer Calendar tab widget. 

Will the change made to this resource calendar be available as global i.e. available in all projects sharing that resource?

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:28 AM
  • SASPA,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Yes, that's right, resource calendars are "hidden", you can only access them through the Resource Information window.

If you have a resource pool and you have set up exceptions for each resource in addition to a Base Calendar, then those calendar specifics will be available to any project that uses that resource. So in that regard, yes it would be "global".

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by SASPA Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:10 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:07 PM
  • John,

In the meantime, I tried out the approach you recommended and it works fine. Thanks to Dale and your help, I understand now better the calendar philosophy in MS Project.

I even tried with a project specific calendar derived from the company calendar and have used it as the calendar base for the project. It works then well although the shared resources I allocated to the project were assigned the company calendar by default. The result is what I was expecting: a logical AND between the company calendar, project calendar and resource calendar specific constraints.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Michel,

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:22 PM
  • Michel,

Again, thanks for the feedback. I'm glad we could help clarify how calendars work in Project.

There are actually three calendars in Project, the project calendar, task calendar, and resource calendar. The project calendar is the default basis for the other two if there aren't any exceptions for specific tasks or resources. In your case, you would set up your company holidays on the project calendar, just as you have done, and by default that will carry over to every task and resource (base calendar). As discussed previously any resource can have exceptions to the base calendar, which you also have done.

But let's say you have a particular task that includes a process that runs 24 hours. In that case you might want to assign the "24 hours" calendar as the Task Calendar for that task. By default all tasks have a "none" shown in the Task Calendar field and this "none" is actually the project calendar, the "none" simply means that the task takes no exception to the project calendar. However, if you change the task calendar to the "24 hours" calendar, scheduling of that task will run 24-7. If a resource is assigned to that task, that resource may or may not follow the 24 hour scheduling depending on whether the option is set to "ignore resource calendars" (Task Information > advanced tab).

Hopefully this round out the calendar information.

John

• Marked as answer by SASPA Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:45 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 4:30 PM
  • John,

These additional comments are welcome. 

So, good you remind me about task calendars that I somehow knew about but hadn't put in the picture yet.

And good to spot me on the option "ignore resource calendars" which I understand means overwrite any resource specific constraint when the resource is assigned to that particular task.

I don't think I will have a practical use of this type of calendar in my projects.

But I got all this crystal clear now!

Thanks to your assistance.

Michel,

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:00 PM
  • SASPA,

Wow! crystal clear! I don't have that much faith in my own understanding ;-)

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. Happy scheduling.

John

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:23 PM