Info: 'Windows Update - Check Online for Updates from Microsoft Update' RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This has been raised in this forum and I've seen the suggested answers.

Its around the fact that within Windows Update on Windows 10, when on a domain and managed via SCCM for updates, a standard user can still tick the box - "Check online for updates from Microsoft Update". Doing so does as the name suggests but then automatically proceeds to download and install all available updates.

I'll be honest - I don't understand why Microsoft has allowed this behaviour. We manage updates via SCCM to ensure business stability and reliability.

It seems that the only way to stop this is to enable the GPO option "Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations". This setting has a brief explanation that it may (which means will) impact the Windows Store and other services which rely on the public Windows Update site.

My main question isn't whether I can disable this checkbox because the answer seems to be no, but if someone knows a way, I'm all ears.

My main question is - does anyone have more detail on what will stop working if the "Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations" option is enabled. We currently disable the Windows Store so if that can't connect right now it doesn't matter. But what else will stop working? Microsoft doesn't give enough information around this option.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 2:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Norton_San,

"does anyone have more detail on what will stop working if the "Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations" option is enabled."
    I have enabled this Group Policy on my side, it does affects Windows store, but I have not found other problems on my side. If there is anything to update ,I will post here as soon as possible.

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, June 24, 2016 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Norton_San,

"does anyone have more detail on what will stop working if the "Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations" option is enabled."
    I have enabled this Group Policy on my side, it does affects Windows store, but I have not found other problems on my side. If there is anything to update ,I will post here as soon as possible.

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, June 24, 2016 7:13 AM
  • Thanks mate, I appreciate it.

One day when we want to enable the Store, this problem will come back up but until then it seems like the only option is to enable the GPO as you have done.

Friday, June 24, 2016 7:41 AM