Vista Hangs on startup RRS feed

• Question

• I am having issues on my Toshiba Satellite A200 Laptop that's running on Vista Home Premium (32bit) 1.73 Ghz and 2GB Ram. What's happening is that when I turn on computer on, and like always, goes there to booting process like this and all is well until that disappears and it hangs there on a black screen. It takes about less than minute for my cursor to show (with the black screen still there), then another minute for the startup tune to ring and I get my welcome blue screen page. After that explorer loads but takes forever. Icons show up a few at a time, desktop background takes forever to show up. Once everything looks like it's loaded the system freezing every so often for instance opening my computer or Firefox takes forever and freezes. Eventually it does load and I can browse websites but freezes in between. After a few more boots, it seems to be running a bit faster.

My system doesn't normally run that slow since I maintain it really well. I defrag every so often and use cleaners to get rid of registry errors. It usually takes about less than a minute to load my system from top to bottom.

I've tried something on my own like using Last Good Config a couple times and booting into safe mode. Safe mode boots up fast and does not take that much time so that eliminates hardware issues (at least I think). I've when through my startup to see if there are programs that shouldn't be starting up (through msconfig) and nothing seems to be out of place. Also now that I have this problem, I unplugged anything that's connected to a USB port but still no use.

However this might be what caused this issue: The pass 2 days I've kept my computer in sleep mode, because I need quick access. Also, I plugged in a USB flash drive and wanted to load a picture but the computer completely hung for a good 20minutes and after that I've decided to shut it off through the power button (I don’t think it was indexing as there wasn’t much to index). Now after that, the problem started to occur. I'm thinking that a system file is corrupted? Did some Google and people pretty much do what I did. Did anyone have the same problem before or know a way to fix this? Thanks in advanced.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 9:21 AM

All replies

• Hello

I have come accross this problem myself due to a USB stick been in the system, im not sure why Vista does it but i found taking the stick out and rebooting fixes the slow loading.

if i rememeber right it could be trying to scan the Drive for errors before loading into windows.

other than that it could be memory thats the problem have you tryed re seating your memory in the machine and booting back up?

if its still the same issue and you have more than 1 modual of memory try 1 at a time to see if there is and difference, if there is this its the mamory failing/failed.

hope this helps
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:39 PM
  • Hello

I have come accross this problem myself due to a USB stick been in the system, im not sure why Vista does it but i found taking the stick out and rebooting fixes the slow loading.

if i rememeber right it could be trying to scan the Drive for errors before loading into windows.

other than that it could be memory thats the problem have you tryed re seating your memory in the machine and booting back up?

if its still the same issue and you have more than 1 modual of memory try 1 at a time to see if there is and difference, if there is this its the mamory failing/failed.

hope this helps

Thanks for your input. I've ran a memory test and both my RAM were fine. I manually tested each RAM as well. After starting a scan in safe mode, I've noticed that it slows down as well. I cannot finish any scan because at one point the computer will freeze. I've setup my laptop with 3 partitions (one with the OS and 2 for file storage) so I wouldn’t need to back things up when performing a format. I proceeded to formatting. I used the recovery disk that came with the laptop and I could not reinstall Vista. At one point I could hear my hard drive making sounds as if there were obstruction inside. Following that sound, a few minutes later I was given an error saying it couldn't be properly installed. Then I tried the whole processes again with the same error. I then pulled out my genuine OEM vista CD in hopes that it will install Vista. I formatted the partition and proceeded with installing windows. After the first stage, which was the Copying stage, it went directly to Expanding Files stage. At that point it was stuck at 0% and after about 10 minutes I was given an error as well (0x80070017). I tried this procedure again but with no avail.

I am deducing that my hard drive is broken. Before formatting I did do a scan of the hard drive for problems and found that that I had 4kb’s worth of a bad sectors. I will have to purchase an IDE to USB cable so that I can pull off my files in the other two partitions before it’s too late for those. If you do not think that my hard drive is broken, please tell me why and how I can fix it if possible? Hopefully the hard drive IS broken and not a popped capacitor in MOBO.

• Proposed as answer by bubalakawe Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:56 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 2:07 AM
  • Any hard drive that has been formatted, stores the main windows hex files in what is the MBR Master Boot Record a sraight re-format does NOT overwrite the previous MBR..... It sounds like you have a faulty sector if your scan came back with bad sectors if one is in the MBR then as above putting your recovery/instillation disk in will not  re-install........you have 2 options ...  get a new hard drive then install as normal---get an external hard drive to usb cable once vista is running plug in  if device is not noticed or error then go into-------my computer in start then right click then manage drives-- on the one not showing properly  click and go to populate if your lucky  your files will then show...... the other way is to say dang it and you have to do what is called an UNCONDITIONAL format unfortuanatly since w98 you cannot create a fdisk...... there is a programe that you can use which will make a deletion disk  basicialy what an UNCONDITIONAL format does is writ zeros to the drive even over the existing MBR so you have a drive that is like if you just bought it.. I have the programme that creats the  zero format if you need it get in touch and i can send it to you  my e-mail is  scottbgibson@hotmail.com....

another thing that sounds crazy is to remove drive put it in a thick plastic bag and get all air out  then put it in freezer for a few hours  then take out and leave in room till it is at room temp before re fitting.(I,ve done this many times for drives that would show nothing or 250gig drives showing only 5 gig etc) any way  hope you get sorted soon

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:14 PM