HDD slowing system boot - how to fix? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Win 7 Pro x64 system that has a boot problem.  The OS is installed on a OCZ Revodrive3 and works flawlessly.  I also have a HDD drive attached to the system (SATA-3GB Hitachi).  When the HDD is attached, the system adds about 30 seconds to the boot.  During this time I get an initial burst of HDD activity, then the HDD light starts blinking slowly gradually getting faster and faster until it goes nearly always on.  It then goes out and the logon prompt displays and I can then log on.  If the HDD isn't attached the 30 second delay doesn't happen.

I have run a full scan (chkdsk - full - auto fix) on the HDD several times and it always comes back with no problems.  I also have search turned off.  I've uninstalled all AV to ensure it is not the cause.

Any hints on what I should look at to resolve this?

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You may make a boot trace to analyse the boot behavior.

References:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140247-trace-windows-7-bootshutdownhibernatestandbyresume-issues/

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Windows Performance Analysis Tools

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, October 17, 2011 3:20 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You may make a boot trace to analyse the boot behavior.

References:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140247-trace-windows-7-bootshutdownhibernatestandbyresume-issues/

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Windows Performance Analysis Tools

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, October 17, 2011 3:20 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:49 AM
  • Hi,

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of further assistance. 

Regards,

Sabrina

Friday, October 14, 2011 2:01 AM