Windows updates not working with windows steady state RRS feed

• Question

• Hi People

My company is trying steady stae on around 200 pcs, i have noticed that the windows steady state doesnt pull the windows updates on any of the machines, do i have to create a script for this?

Please help!!!!!!!!!!

JAY
    Monday, November 9, 2009 10:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Jay, if you enable Schedule Software Updates, Windows Update should work properly with Windows SteadyState.

Scheduling Software Updates

Part of protecting a computer is ensuring that it is has all of the most up-to-date Microsoft Updates and antivirus programs. In the Schedule Software Updates dialog box, you can schedule updates at a specific time of the day and at the frequency you want updates to be made to the shared computer. You can schedule updates and apply them permanently, even when Windows Disk Protection is turned on, ensuring that important Microsoft updates and antivirus updates are not subsequently removed at restart.

This section covers the configurations and settings that you can apply in the Schedule Software Updates dialog box. These settings include:

§  Scheduling automatic or manual updates

§  Selecting automatic updates (Microsoft Update), antivirus updates, or custom scripts

Scheduling Updates

In the Schedule Software Updates dialog box, under Schedule Updates, you can select automatic or manual updates. If you choose to automatically download and install updates with Windows SteadyState, you can use the Select Updates options to select the types of updates you want to perform. Windows SteadyState will automatically install Microsoft Update, Windows Update, or Windows Server Update Services, depending on which of these is currently used by Windows XP.

Automatically Download and Install Updates

When you select the Use Windows SteadyState to automatically download and install updates option under Schedule Updates, you can specify the frequency of automatic updates. . You can choose to automatically install updates at a specific time either daily or weekly.

Note: Windows SteadyState only automates critical updates from Microsoft. It does not automatically install recommended updates, optional updates, driver updates, or special updates that may have their own license agreements. Review the updates available on Microsoft Update periodically, manually download and install the ones you want, and then make sure that the Retain all changes permanently option is turned on in the Protect the Hard Drive dialog box. For more information, see the “Protecting the Hard Disk” section in this handbook.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:47 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dignityuk Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:31 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:07 AM
  • I thought that how ever looking at our windows server update, all off our pcs update around 3am, with the wdp on and the schedule updates on, i noticed it dosnt pull any updates, even if the pc is turned on.
    I also noticed in control panel, Auto Updates, the updates are turned off.

If i leave the software updates off on steady state, and have switch automatic updates on via control panel, will WDP write clean the new updates, and leaving the software updates off coudl that damaged the pc at all

Thanks

Jay

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:19 AM
  • Hi Jay, if we enable WDP, Schedule Software Updates will be turned on and Automatic Updates in Control Panel should be grayed out(this is controlled by group policy). Those updates should be saved after restarting. If Automatic Updates cannot be turned on instead of "grayed out", you may need to contact with our Windows Update support group on such issue as this kind of issue is not caused by Windows SteadyState itself.

Also, for your reference, you can check the following thread regarding WSUS with SteadyState:

Steady State 2.5 and WSUS
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/514eeed2-af36-4a76-aef2-475ec3ff2e6c/

Windows Updates - will not run according to schedule
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/55dba099-d613-4e1e-a1b8-13edde654234

Hope this helps!
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:16 AM
  • hi sean

Our windows updates are controlled by a group policy, When i turned off the schedule software updates in windows steady state, the updates did go on, What puzzled me was with the WDP switched on, i thought the new updates would just be wiped clean everytime we did a restart, si am i right in saying that WDP will not get rid of new windows updates?

Thanks

jay
    Friday, November 13, 2009 9:06 AM
  • If you turn on WDP, Schedule Software Updates will be turned on automatically, as a result, those updates should be saved.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, November 16, 2009 3:21 AM
  • After a few days of testing, when  software updates are on via steady state, it stops pulling updates from our wsus.

when software updates is turned off, but with WDP we find that the updates are pulled from our wsus, but the minute we restart the pc, or log off the admin account, all is lost

Is there any way, where we can keep WDP on, and Software updates off ( in steady state), But the updates from our wsus saved.

Thanks for you help so far

Jay
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 9:40 AM
  • Hi

How do we get the software updates on WDP to download from our WSUS instead of the microsoft internet site.

Thanks

Jay
    • Merged by Sean Zhu - Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:58 AM same issue
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:48 PM