Acer laptop Media Buttons no longer work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All. 
    I have installed Windows 7 today, and so far so good, just a couple of small problems.

I am running an Acer Aspire 5612 laptop (very similar to 5610). It has media buttons down the right hand side (FB, FF, Stop, Play/Pause, Vol -, Vol +) which were functioning on Vista. However, since installing Windows 7, these no longer work. 

I have searched google and found a lot of people saying that the Synaptics software was what controlled those buttons, so I downloaded the version from the Acer website, specifically for my laptop, however it says "Could not find OS Specific Setup program" - which I am assuming means it cannot run it on Windows 7? I have already got another version of Synaptics pointing device - for the touchpad, which runs the touchpad fairly well (however, my middle scrolling button doesn't work) - however the media buttons are still not working. I have had a look to see if I can change the settings, but am unable to find any settings that relate to the buttons.

Could anyone help me out here? Even give me some ideas of what else I could look into?

Thanks.

Monday, August 17, 2009 11:57 AM

Answers

• Hi, as the media button driver is provided by Acer if they did not release Windows 7 compatible driver, we may not able to use those functions. You can contact with the manufacturer and see if the driver is available now:

http://www.acer.com/support/index.htm

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:27 AM
  • I have had a reply from Acer this morning. They said that those buttons are controlled by Acer Launch Manager, but they did not have one for Windows 7. I installed the one for vista (which is actually for XP!) and it worked, HOWEVER, The volume buttons still don't work. All the other buttons do now (yay) But the volume buttons don't actually change the volume! On the screen the bars come up to say the volume is being adjusted, but the volume actually stays the same. 

So now I am stumped. haha
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:15 AM

All replies

• Have you updated your windows 7, using Windows update, if not. Would suggest you to do so, as windows update might have drivers for the same
    Monday, August 17, 2009 4:47 PM
  • Oh excellent. Thanks for that. I will try it now. I just thought it would automatically do any updates. Will give it a go. thanks :)
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:34 AM
  • I have just tried that, but unfortunately no luck still. 
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:51 AM
  • Have you checked device manager, for the same. Are the drivers installed or you have any Question mark against any device.
    If so can you share the Device ID for the same..
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:10 AM
  • Hi. I have just tried updating the driver for the touchpad, but it is no different still... The only hardware with an exclamation mark next to it is the webcam - because I haven't gotten around to installing the drivers for it yet. 
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:17 AM
  • Hi, as the media button driver is provided by Acer if they did not release Windows 7 compatible driver, we may not able to use those functions. You can contact with the manufacturer and see if the driver is available now:

http://www.acer.com/support/index.htm

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:27 AM
  • Thanks Sean. I contacted Acer earlier today, and am just waiting on a response from them now. Thanks :)
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:32 AM
  • I have had a reply from Acer this morning. They said that those buttons are controlled by Acer Launch Manager, but they did not have one for Windows 7. I installed the one for vista (which is actually for XP!) and it worked, HOWEVER, The volume buttons still don't work. All the other buttons do now (yay) But the volume buttons don't actually change the volume! On the screen the bars come up to say the volume is being adjusted, but the volume actually stays the same. 

So now I am stumped. haha
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:15 AM
  • OMG theres so many posts and not enough helpful ( sorry probably a bit too strong but hey ive just had hit of columbian coffee lol ) answers so thought I'd throw my findings into the mix ( no less credit to the people who have already posted - I know how frustrating this was - is - its taken me weeks to figure but here goes..... ) if you want to use the buttons on the left ( mines a 5920g so models may vary?? ) you have to install launch manager - now as far as im aware it doesnt really matter what version you use but I downloaded the latest from acers website for win 7 and it works fine.... now here was the major sticking point for me anyways / to use the media buttons on the right ie play, ff, fr and pause you have to install synaptics touchpad driver now if you go to acers website and download the current version for whatever reason it says it cant install the files ( for me it did anyways ) ver14.06 so i went to synaptics website and downloaded their current ver14.03 ( how acer can have a more upto date version than the manufacterer but hey go figure ?? ;-S ) anyways that didnt work either so I was stuck

AHA til I remembered when i did a back-up before upgrading i burnt a copy of the drivers and apps through acer data management and hey presto a synaptics touchpad/media key vers10.0.15 go to this website and download http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/KEYBOARD-and-MOUSE/Synaptics/Acer-Aspire-5520-Notebook-Synaptics-Touchpad-Driver-10015-for-Win7.shtml 

So there u go sorry for the waffling just thought If i go ott no-one can say I havnt done it properly ( and its my 1ST ever post so wanted to get it right ;-P

Dean

• Proposed as answer by D34nO_79 Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:03 AM
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:01 AM
  • Hello! I have an acer with windows 7 installed, I was hoping someone could give me a pointer on my volume buttons obove my keyboard. They have suddunly stopped working. The icon on the taskbar are working no problem, so I have volume but again the buttons i use quite often just stopped. 8( any suggestions?
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 3:40 PM