none
Project Server 2013 SCA cannot get to administrator options in PWA Settings RRS feed

• Question

• This is Project Server 2013 On-Prem. I am a Site Collection Administrator. I was removed from the Web Administrators (Project Web App Synchronized) group. Now I do not have access to the administrator options in PWA Settings.

I manually added myself back to Web Administrators, gave myself Full Control directly, still nothing. I cannot get to the option that changes sync settings, so that isn't a fix I can try.

Also, I am not allowed in the back end Central Admin area, that is a separate group. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Cannot perform SCA duties until this is resolved.

Sunday, April 1, 2018 1:20 PM

Answers

• Michael, Thank you for that information. I work for a govt customer and everything is compartmentalized. The database group does not allow anybody to write to the database. However, the DBA for our site collection did resolve the issue thusly: "Each site collection is associated with content database (SharePoint) and project database (project). So when I looked at the sites, the root site and one of the PWA sites had a content database but project database was missing. Basically the project DB was there but wasn't associated with the sites. So we had to attached/associated the project database to the SharePoint site."

Problem is now resolved. Thank you for responding.

Friday, April 6, 2018 6:37 PM

All replies

• FYI.  The SharePoint  Administrators and PWA Administrators are not the same, unless you are using PWA in SharePoint Permission mode.   This is the default out of the box setting, but many organization change it to Project Permission Mode.

There should be another PWA administrator and assuming the farmAdmin or installing admin has access. try logging in with these accounts and starting PWA.  If PWA comes up, then you can add yourself back in as Administrator.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Monday, April 2, 2018 2:30 PM
  • Here is more information. The site collection is using Project Permission Mode.

I believe the PWA Administrators group has been inadvertently emptied. Sadly, we are now struggling with how to get at least one user account back into that group and synced properly. 

I tried adding the user into that group from Site settings/Site permissions at the root level. This had no effect.

What can we possibly do to restore this - Is Database restore the only option?

• Edited by Garrett Rowley Tuesday, April 3, 2018 5:54 PM misspelled word
    Tuesday, April 3, 2018 5:53 PM
  • Can you try adding yourself to the Web administrators (Project web app syncronized) group. Next time when the sync occurs you will be still there in the syncrnized group as you in the Administrators  group(security group).

To ensure that the sync runs, try to edit your or some other resource profile ( change initials, etc..). Let us know if your issue is resolved.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 9:14 PM
  • I had the same situation years ago and was able to get my profile to point to the Administrators group by executing a SQL update on one of the publish tables.  It is not supported, but if you backup and do due dilgence you can figure it out.

First try build a SELECT query to find your profile and joing with security group. Once you get that aspect of the query working, you should see your profile point to a TEAM group. Once that piece the puzzle working, you can build a UPDATE query to replace perhaps the TEAM group with the admin group.

The key tables to look at are the following
    1) pub.MSP_WEB_SECURITY_GROUP_MEMBERS
    2) pub.MSP_WEB_SECURITY_GROUP
    3) pub.MSP_RESOURCES
    4) dbo.MSP_EPMResource

I am going from memory, but its pretty close.

As also, make sure you backup the database incase you clobber it and need to restore.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 12:58 AM
  • Yes, that is what I wanted to do but could not. None of the admin options on the PWA settings page was available to us.
    Friday, April 6, 2018 6:33 PM
  • Michael, Thank you for that information. I work for a govt customer and everything is compartmentalized. The database group does not allow anybody to write to the database. However, the DBA for our site collection did resolve the issue thusly: "Each site collection is associated with content database (SharePoint) and project database (project). So when I looked at the sites, the root site and one of the PWA sites had a content database but project database was missing. Basically the project DB was there but wasn't associated with the sites. So we had to attached/associated the project database to the SharePoint site."

Problem is now resolved. Thank you for responding.

Friday, April 6, 2018 6:37 PM