none
IE 11 - Choose your home page and search settings RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning.

Using MDT 2013 U1 to deploy Windows 10. When creating the task sequence I set the homepage setting to https://www.google.ca.

However, it seems to have an adverse side effect. The first time IE 11 is open the user gets prompted to pick there home page and search settings. Is there any way to suppress this warning?

• Edited by jadsab Thursday, March 10, 2016 3:58 PM
    Thursday, March 10, 2016 3:32 PM

All replies

• Honestly I find it much easier to use IEAK and create a "branding" package. You can define a lot more settings than just the home page. But if you still want to stick with using unattend, then be sure to set DisableFirstRunWizard to True

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 3:56 PM
  • Great suggestion and I had high hopes for it, unfortunately it didn't work out to well. It seems like the IEAK configurations don't get applied correctly. Perfect example is that I had import 4 search providers when creating the IEAK config file, and only 2 actually showed up on the new system after running the file. The home page setting also didn't get applied. I had it set to "https://www.google.ca/" (no quotes).

I'll admit I won't rule out that I'm doing something wrong with IEAK, but it seems pretty straight forward. By all means correct me if I'm wrong.

Friday, March 11, 2016 1:16 PM
  • Personally what I've done is setup a clean VM with a 32bit OS and installed IEAK on it. Why 32bit? In case I need to support working with a 32bit image (which turned out I needed to) so I have also installed MDT x86 and ADK x86 on it.

Anyway on this VM configure IE the way you want your clients to end up. Everything from Favorites to Trusted sites, Search engines, etc.

In the feature selection make sure you check the boxes for the features you want to modify. It should be a completely silent install with no restart. When you import the Search Providers go ahead and remove Bing, because it's already going to be on the machine that you run this package on. For the home page MAKE SURE the box for "Retain previous home page" is NOT checked otherwise the home page will not be updated.

It your personal choice on favorites but I select "Only delete the items created by the administrator" and then I check the do not add Microsoft default: Favorites, Web slices and Links, Feeds. Be sure to uncheck the box for "Use Internet Explorer First Run wizard" on the wizard screen. Most of the other settings will be up to the way you want to configure IE.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Friday, March 11, 2016 2:28 PM