How to sequence Thinkcell Plugin RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to sequence Thinkcell application, Office 2007 is installed on the client system.

I have already read the below site but it says to create 2 packages (One of Office 2007 and another of plugin) but my requirement is to sequence only the plugin and from client machine these plug-ins should work along with the local local office applications. Please suggest.

I wont get any shortcuts after finishing monitoring for Thinkcell. So unable to save the sequence .

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2008/09/24/how-to-dynamically-suite-two-application-packages-using-app-v-4-5-and-dsc.aspx

Thanks

Roshan

• Edited by VirtualAdda Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:40 AM subjct change
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:22 AM

Answers

• You will need to capture the application with Office 2007 installed on your sequencing machine. When it comes to the step in the sequencer to create or modify applications, create a shortcut to the Office 2007 applications.

You can then deliver this application and users will be required to use the Office shortcuts from this package to use the plugin.

There's a few things to consider:

• Users must use the Office shortcuts from this package to use the plugin. You probably don't want to override the local Office shortcuts, if this add-in is only used occasionally
    • If users have an existing instance of an Office application open (started with another shortcut or FTA), it probably won't open a second instance of the application inside the Thinkcell package.
    • You can hack this to ensure that Office always starts in the Thinkcell package; however you could only do this for a single package (i.e. you wouldn't be able to deliver multiple Office add-on packages - you might be able to add all Office add-ins to a single package). http://blogs.msdn.com/b/johnsheehan/archive/2009/10/08/automatically-launching-local-apps-in-a-virtual-environment.aspx

If you have Office installed instead of delivering it via App-V, you may find that you will also have to install the Office add-ins instead of virtualising them.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:46 AM
  • You see that dialog when importing multiple applications, if you finish the import you should see the application shortcuts created
    • Marked as answer by VirtualAdda Monday, October 4, 2010 4:38 PM
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:07 AM

All replies

• You will need to capture the application with Office 2007 installed on your sequencing machine. When it comes to the step in the sequencer to create or modify applications, create a shortcut to the Office 2007 applications.

You can then deliver this application and users will be required to use the Office shortcuts from this package to use the plugin.

There's a few things to consider:

• Users must use the Office shortcuts from this package to use the plugin. You probably don't want to override the local Office shortcuts, if this add-in is only used occasionally
    • If users have an existing instance of an Office application open (started with another shortcut or FTA), it probably won't open a second instance of the application inside the Thinkcell package.
    • You can hack this to ensure that Office always starts in the Thinkcell package; however you could only do this for a single package (i.e. you wouldn't be able to deliver multiple Office add-on packages - you might be able to add all Office add-ins to a single package). http://blogs.msdn.com/b/johnsheehan/archive/2009/10/08/automatically-launching-local-apps-in-a-virtual-environment.aspx

If you have Office installed instead of delivering it via App-V, you may find that you will also have to install the Office add-ins instead of virtualising them.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:46 AM
  • Below are the steps which i have executed.

1) Installed Office 2007 on the sequencer machine.

2) Opened Sequencer application, after selecting begin monitoring installed Thinkcell software in Q: drive and stopped monitoring.

3) Added office shortcut Excel and Powerpoint.

4) Launched the 2 office applications, copied license to thinkcell and finished.

after saving the package in MNT, copied the package to content folder of sequencer machine. while importing the application the osd files are not loading. please check the below screeshots

[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/1zl89py.jpg[/IMG]

http://i56.tinypic.com/1zl89py.jpg

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:48 AM
  • You see that dialog when importing multiple applications, if you finish the import you should see the application shortcuts created
    • Marked as answer by VirtualAdda Monday, October 4, 2010 4:38 PM
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Thanks Aron its working!!!!
    Monday, October 4, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Anyone do have any experience with think-cell 8 and AppV 5.

I can't get it working :-(

Friday, September 22, 2017 7:37 AM