none
Need to remove "Diagnose Connection Problems" button from IE9 RRS feed

• Question

• The "Diagnose Connection Problems" button in IE9 is causing issues for us, and I need to disable or remove it.  We have kiosks running Windows 7 Pro, and they are locked down with software that restricts user access to just Internet Explorer 9.  The kiosk connects to a wireless network, using a pre-configured static IP address.  The problem is, if there is a network outage that leaves the wifi up, but no Internet access, the first web page that fails to load presents the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" page, along with the "Diagnose Connection Problems".  If the user clicks this button, then Windows Network Diagnostics wizard begins to run. Under these conditions, this wizard determines that the problem is that DHCP is not in use, and helpfully offers to remove the static IP settings and enable DHCP.  As there is no DHCP for this network, and the kiosk is locked down to only allow access to IE, it is effectively dead until someone from IT can physically access the system.

I have tested and verified that, under these same circumstances (wifi is up, WAN is down, static IP configured) the Diagnose Connection Problems button will clear the static IP settings.  I need some means of removing or disabling this button.  Prior to IE9, it was listed as an addon that could be disabled, but that seems to no longer be the case.  Any help is appreciated.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

add a userstylesheet (Internet Options>General tab>Accessibility button or use GPO) that has the following in it.

button#diagnose{display:none;visibility:hidden}

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by DHatfield Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:54 PM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:20 AM

All replies

• Any help is appreciated.

Could you switch to IE10?   The Network Troubleshooter doesn't work any more for me with it.   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:57 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

add a userstylesheet (Internet Options>General tab>Accessibility button or use GPO) that has the following in it.

button#diagnose{display:none;visibility:hidden}

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by DHatfield Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:54 PM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:20 AM
  • This is perfect, thank you! If I could give bonus points for a solution that supports implementing via GPO I would.

Thanks again,

Daniel

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:57 PM
  • you can use GPO to specify the userStylesheet.

Rob^_^

Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:10 AM
  • Hi

I have the same problem too.. 

Hey admins, can you help us about this removing Diagnose Connection Problems button on IE?

Thanks in advance

Friday, June 17, 2016 8:52 AM